Network Extender Delivers Bogus Location to Droid Incredible
KlintusFang

I searched the forum, and found other discussions of this same problem that are almost a year old, but the threads were already locked so I am creating a new one.

I have had my network extender for about a month now.  It was working fine for a while, but now it constantly reports the wrong location to all the phones in my home.  I disconnect from the network extender and all my phones show the correct city.  I connect to it and all my phones show me as being in a city that is 200+ miles SW of my current location.

I saw no resolution to the year old threads on this topic sadly.  Can this be fixed?  The network extender works fine otherwise, but for all my phones to think I am in las vegas whenever I am in the house makes it really kind of useless in general.  

There is little point in having a fancy smart phone with all these features and buying an extender for it if the extender is going to be this **bleep** about its location.

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender Delivers Bogus Location to Droid Incredible
KlintusFang

Note.  I have power cycled the extender.  When I do, and wait for all the lights to show blue, the extender reports the correct location to the phones for about 30 minutes or so.  But after that it reverts back to reporting the incorrect location again.

I am in Tracy, CA.  The extender tells all my phones we are in Las Vegas, NV, though every once and a while it reports that they are in Reno, NV.  Once it starts misreporting, it never reports the correct location again unless I power cycle the device.  But as I said, after a fresh power cycle it only correctly reports for a short while.

0 Likes
mrsizer

Where do you find this information?

0 Likes
gerrya

Im having the same issue. It reports me about 80 miles away in Staten Island ny and I live in upstate NY. Im wondering what that will do to a 911 call.

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender Delivers Wrong Location to Droid Incredible
gerrya

Just spoke to tech support and I was basically told the Network extender is a Dumb device and thats the way it is. Seems ridiculous to me. If its putting out location information then why cant it put out the correct location info.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I may be wrong about this, but by DUMB device, I think that what was meant was that it takes the signal and amplifies it ONLY. It doesn't add anything to it such as location info.

0 Likes
gerrya

I agree, but it is giving some kind of location info since it locates me at the exact same street in Staten island for months.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

As I said before, the extender is not giving out location info.

But.... if it is picking up and amplifying a signal from a tower in Staten Island, and......you do not have a good GPS lock on the sattelites with your phone(such as being indoors, or blocked from view by trees), or.....do not even have your phone GPS turned on, your phone takes the location info sent by the TOWER(not the extender) to make a location determination.

0 Likes
KlintusFang

That does not appear to be how it works.  

First, I am reported as being at random locations whenever in my house and getting the signal from the extender.  Those locations are frequently 400+ miles away.  There is absolutely no way that the extender is picking up a signal from a cell tower 400 miles away and amplifying it.  Cell tower's don't even have remotely close to that kind of range.

Second, the "verizon location services" ignore the GPS signal in the phone.  I can have a perfectly clear GPS signal (which I can verify and test by using the phones navigation software), and the "location services" will still report me as being in a location that is 400 miles away from the location that the GPS is reporting.  In that respect, the verizion location service itself is obviously brain-dead-dumb in its basic design.  It ignores the GPS information provided by the phone.

What seems to be the case is that the network extender is provided some location information from "somewhere", probably a look up table in some database where verizon stores what it believes to be the locations of the extenders.  And that "somewhere" is just giving wrong information.

The problem is not inside the network extender, I never believed it was.  but it absolutely is a problem with the way verizon has implemented the infrastucture around the network extender.  And I maintain that they should fix it.  Or advertise that verizon location services don't function properly when you use a network extender when they sell the things.

0 Likes
KlintusFang

more generally, unless the documentation for the network extender is all lies (which I don't think it is...), the network extender does not amplify nearby cell phone signals.  it routes signals through the internet to some verizon  server on the internet that is patched into their cellphone network.

0 Likes