Network Extender - Extended Enhanced Services Area - what's the deal??
fishintheobx

We have 3 Blackberry's in our family, but unfortunately live in an "Extended Enhanced Services" area.  We are about 20 miles from VZW coverage and US Cellular is the only carrier in our area.  We went with VZW because we travel and company does not work with USC.  But our service comes and goes, one day 4 bars, the next you can barely make a call (I've heard US Cellular monkeys with the towers around here quite a bit).  When I heard about the Network Extender coming out it seemed like a dream come true because we have awesome internet bandwidth.  And then the deal-breaker...it's not available in "Extended Enhanced Services" area.

This is one decision I don't understand and am frankly irritated with.  I can understand the GPS feature preventing out-of-country usage, but anywhere in North America should not be an issue.  I've put up with the locked-down phones, lack of features, and other restrictions....but some decisions this carrier makes seem to be absent of a brain.  I mean seriously, you bring out a device that improves reception, but you limit it to only being used in the areas where you have the best reception.

Has anyone used the Network Extender in an Extended Enhanced Services area?  And are there any plans to open the device up to other areas?  I've actually had an offer to take the thing home and try it out, but don't want them to just shut it down someday because of some rule.  VZW would make a nice chunk of change from my family alone with the sale, upgraded plan minutes, increased usage, etc.

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender - Extended Enhanced Services Area - what's the deal??
upnorth
Contributor - Level 1
I was told by a VZW store that use of the extender is limited to VZW-licensed areas, which would generally exclude the extended enhanced services area. I have VZW service in Minneapolis but have a cabin in an Alltel area in northern Wisconsin. The cabin has virtually no signal strength due to the terrain. The Alltel areas still show as extended enhanced even though VZW has acquired Alltel. I have not been able get an answer as to whether the extender will work at the cabin or the schedule for converting the network in that area to VZW.
0 Likes
bkllc
I would take one home and try it.... they work very well in areas that have little to no signal... Really, how is it different being in a valley, behind a mountain getting no signal or being in an extended area... You can return it.
0 Likes
fishintheobx

Yeah...actually had the sales person I deal with at the VZW store tell me to take it home and try it out.  I thought I had read somewhere that the GPS feature actually prevents the device from being used outside of the service area (i.e.: outside of US, etc.).  I would just hate to get the thing, have it work great for 3 months, then have to place a service call only to be told "sorry pal...you're not in an authorized area".

When I signed up for service, bought phones, and pay bills, VZW sees my zipcode each time.  So regardless of coverage, they've had no problem taking my money and providing a service up to now!

0 Likes
upnorth
Contributor - Level 1
If they sold you service at that address, you have a strong case for being in an authorized area. They won't sell service in the ZIP code where I want to use it. Perhaps VZW is licensed in your area but doesn't have a tower that reaches your house. 
0 Likes
rjann1000

I am in Isanti Minnesota and since the conversions and merger with Alltell I have no bars or voice service at my home. I went to verizon 3 years ago because I get service in Grand Marais and in Isanti. I have a wireless modem and family plan and it costs me a lot of money. I have called the last 5 days numerous times and can't get a clear answer. They told me it was my phone, so I went to the Verizon store and bought a brand new phone and the same thing.

I got rid of my land line because I didn't need a dial up modem and the cost of maintaining both.

No I am reallly frustrated and have gotten no satisfaction from Verizon.

0 Likes
wat
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased a network extender for use in our vacation home which is in an "enhanced service area".  The coverage there is weak and is via Alltel (I know Alltel is merging with Verizon, but for now they are operating as two separate companies).  I plugged the extender into my router which is connected to a DSL line.  The GPS signal was almost immediately found.  All the lights turned blue except the system light which flashed red.  It never turned solid blue.  I called Verizon (twice).  Was told to wait two more hours.  It still was flashing red.  On my final Verizon call I was told the extender would NOT work in Alltel territory.

So it is going back.  Frustrating.  

0 Likes
ColdnFrosty
Yeah, I'd argue the point with them that Upnorth made. If they are selling you service at your home, then they should be able to enable the Extender's use at your home. I'm on a BlackBerry and the extender is great. I can now actually use the BB at home (and all its features), where before I could not.
0 Likes
ColdnFrosty
As of June 1, Verizon has started to assimilate Alltel customers, so you might not have long to wait. 
0 Likes