Network Extender Problem - Won't Stay Linked! Help!
bkllc

long story short.... open ticket 2850980. Cellphones will not stay linked to extender. Must get very close to register, only if the phone stays within a foot will it remain linked. This is the second extender I've tried... When linked, calls work ok, coverage is great. If I'm linked and not on a call I can go quite a distance and make a network extender call, no problem. If I'm on a call it will stay linked. Problem is when phone is idle, whether 4 feet or 40 feet after about five minutes the phone will revert back to over the air coverage. Lights remain blue while this happens. Internet connection is DSL with static IP.

There are no router issues... and I have tried specifically opening the ports (thinking maybe they were closing) and also tried puting it on the DMZ... routher is DIR-655 Dlink.tried switching phone to 1X only, no effect. It seems that the phone has a preference for the over the air signal which in my location varies between EV and 1X at various strengths depending where you are in the house. Cellphones tested are VX10000 and LG 8300. VX10000's have latest firmware.

Need HELP.... Verizon Network People!

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender Problem - Won't Stay Linked! Help!
bkllc

additional info....

It seems that my problem is related to being in a location that has competing, distant towers. One is SID 00022 the other is SID 00486. If I go into the service programing mode of the phone and lockout SID 22 the problem greatly improves as there is less switching between tower locations which seems to disturb the link to the Extender.

There is still switching between the extender and the tower as you go to different rooms or floors. Looking at the phone service menu screen we are locked in on SID 486 but depending where I am the Mode is either C (I assume CDMA) or P (which I'm guessing as Private). As long at we stay on SID 486 and Mode P we stay linked to the Extender. With SID 22 out of the picture the phone seems to have a much easier job linking to the Extender as you walk into range. also having the phone in1X only mode helps stablize things further.

So.... it would seem that in an area like mine Verizon either needs to provide some altered settings for the phone, somehow accomidate two SID's on the Extender configuration side or provide some other method of holding the Extender lock no matter what other signals may be doing.... Giving the Extender its own SID might be another solution because you could then set the phone to home only for that SID.

Brian

Message Edited by bkllc on 04-04-2009 07:56 PM
Message Edited by bkllc on 04-04-2009 08:42 PM
0 Likes
bkllc
Returning the unit today.... would work better if I had virtually no signal at my home... Highly directional but powerful signals from several towers confuse the Extender and network
0 Likes
bkllc
It would seem I made the right decsion in returning the Network Extender.... I have received no calls on the open trouble ticket since last friday (its now Tues) which is disappointing. This forum gets very little traffic and is apparently not watched by any Verizon people that know anything about Network Extenders......
0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Hi bkllc,

This is a peer-to-peer forum, meant mostly for the exchange of ideas and tips between members. While there are a couple of tech support people who occasionally post here, this issue may not be within their realm of expertise. We have forwarded many of the forum suggestions and concerns to the appropriate parties for review. Verizon is listening and we value your feedback, even if we can't always respond directly.

Regards

0 Likes
bkllc
In my opinion this forum should be professionally monitored by technical support especially for new products...
0 Likes
nicknrm
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's not what a forum is for.

It's here to help users try and help other users with issues or simply to exchange ideas, like the moderator suggested.

Verizon, nor any other forum, will hire professional technicians to monitor the site.

Yes, no doubt, technicians from Verizon Wireless probably pop in from time to time. They aren't here to provide "off the clock" support.

0 Likes
bkllc

My comment said "in my opinion". I have been in product support at the Director level with a major computer company for 25 years and am a Verizon stockholder. In my opinion the support of the Network Extender is lacking and being handled poorly. Verizon operates these forum servers and could just as well have decided to assign technical support people to these forums especially when it involves new, niche products, it would simply be part of their product support plan.

The stores know little to nothing about this product, the first line technical people have some knowledge and NO tools of any kind, the backend people are isolated and cannot be called directly by first line support people and even the backend people have to call in Samsung people for configuration issues. Turn around time for backend support is 48-72 hours if your lucky. Beleive me I know what appropriate support of a product looks like and this isn't it.

I give Verizon a lot of credit for coming out with the product and doing the work that implements this on their network but it clearly needed more field testing, better training for support and faster problem resolution. Major companies set up special hotline temas for products like this all the time. Its that final 5-10% of the solution thats killing tem on this thing.

0 Likes
bkllc

Finally got a call from a women who's deep in the backend Network Technical Support team. Although clearly not at an engineering level she did understand and is able to configure some of the boxes technical parameters remotely. She seems to have a good overall knowledge of how it supposed to work. As I previously stated they do work with Samsung on some of these customer issues also. She's currently working with some customers who have the same problems I have which apparently releate to a couple of configurable parameters which influence the idle power level and imaginary cage (15ft) that the unit should be projecting. Apparently some of these levels are 10 times lower than they should be.

Since I've already returned the box she's going to call me back after she sees the results of the configuration changes she's making with her other trouble ticket calls.... I perfectly willing to try this again if I'm reasonable confident that Verizon is able to make meaningful adjustments and stick with it till they get it right.

brian

0 Likes
snowmansurfer91
Who did you speak to about this? I called VZ and they stated that if it works it works and if it doesnt it doesnt. Thats cheap. I have a decent size home with the network extender in the middle of the house and i think maybe a nearby tower is interfering and I cannot get anyone on VZ that has brains to help me.
0 Likes