Network Extender delivers bogus location to Droid
DeanONH

I have a network extender & by in large, it works pretty well.  It gets a bit choppy if there is other data moving on the network.

Friday, we got two Droids.  We love these phones.  The Droid monitors your position with the wireless network or GPS.  When I'm not at home the GPS works great and if I'm indoors I get a less accurate wireless position.  When I'm at home, the network extender, even though it has a GPS, delivers the location as NYC, NY.  If I unplug the network extender, then I get the correct wireless location just as I should.

I called Verizon & registered this as a problem.  The tech told me that I was getting the position of the provider.

The network extender has a GPS & knows it's location.  Why can't it deliver this location to the Droid?

I know this is a firmware issue.

Come 'on  Verizon, let's get this system issue resolved.  We've got hundreds of dollars invested in Verizon hardware.

If anyone else experiences this, please report it to Verizon.  Maybe we can get it fixed.

Dean

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender delivers bogus location to Droid
Rajaji

On an HTC Imagio, same thing....I'm in North Carolina and the phone when on the network extender, gave me a Charleston South Carolina weather. A fimware update is needed...most of all we need 3G speeds on the NE.

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender delivers bogus location to Droid
FrayAdjacent

I'm in Austin, Texas (well, just east, close to Elgin) and when I'm at home connected to the Network Extender, my Droid shows me in Wylie, Texas, which is 230 MILES north of here. 

Not too much of an issue, but the Weather Channel application keeps throwing weather alerts for Wylie.  There could be a freaking blizzard up there, but I'm so far away that it would not affect me. 

I'm also concerned that if I call 911, I'll get the Wylie PD, not Elgin. 

VZW needs to fix this.

0 Likes