Network Extender not working with new phone
Pdoherty1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, here's what is happening:

I got a network extender in June.  I was using a Samsung 540 at the time.

I upgraded to a Samsung Alias 2 in August.  It worked fine with the extender.

Today my Alias 2 fried itself.  This happened while I was at work, so I stopped in a Verizon while I was working.  They replaced my phone at no charge and kept the dead one, it wouldn't even turn on.  When I got home it worked fine with the network extender.

Because I couldn't get my contacts from my first Alias2 I turned on my old 540 to copy them from there.  This is when the trouble started.  Now my Alias2 does not pick up the extender signal even though it is the active phone, however my old inactive 540 DOES pick up the signal.  I've tried managed and open settings on the extender, as well as calling *228 on the alias with no luck.  The alias2 will pick up the signal every so often for about 5 minutes and then loses it again.  My wife's phone also uses the extender with no problem.

I need help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Network Extender not working with new phone - FIXED!
Pdoherty1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, finally got this problem fixed today.  Nothing tech support told me to do was working, so I talked to my local verizon store.  Thankfully one of their managers is a genius and a tech wizard.  When he looked up my phone versus my wife's phone (which works fine with the extender) he discovered that our tower IDs were different.  When I had my Alias2 replaced (at a different store) the software flash they used gave me an altell tower ID, and Altell towers are not designed to work with the network extender.  So they reflashed my phone with the proper programming and low and behold my phone now works perfectly with my network extender again!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender not working with new phone - update
Pdoherty1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so here's whats been going on the last couple days.  The Alias will pick up the network signal for a few moments every so often but then it loses it again.  I switched the Samsung 540 to my moms cell, she's on a different plan, so now that phone is not registered with my number anymore, however the Alias is still only picking up the extender signal every once in awhile.  Tried updating the phone via *228 again and have reset the extender a couple of times with no luck.

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender not working with new phone - update
sciphydude
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can call Verizonwireless tech support.  Their response, i have found, has been much better than the usual run around you get from Verizon support.  They can adjust the power settings on you network extender to help your phones stay connected.  When I first got my extender, I was on the phone with them for about two weeks.  They would call me to see how things were going and to tweak the settings if it needed it.  I have not had an issue with my extender since.

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender not working with new phone - FIXED!
Pdoherty1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, finally got this problem fixed today.  Nothing tech support told me to do was working, so I talked to my local verizon store.  Thankfully one of their managers is a genius and a tech wizard.  When he looked up my phone versus my wife's phone (which works fine with the extender) he discovered that our tower IDs were different.  When I had my Alias2 replaced (at a different store) the software flash they used gave me an altell tower ID, and Altell towers are not designed to work with the network extender.  So they reflashed my phone with the proper programming and low and behold my phone now works perfectly with my network extender again!

0 Likes