New Change – location updates are now on me
VerizCustomer

I’ve had a Verizon broadband card for well over a year, but just recently Verizon changed its policy on downloading location updates.  Apparently now the data downloaded to make location updates is charged against my monthly data allowance.  Location updates are now only possible after one is connected and their data meter per se is running. Did someone think folks wouldn’t notice? Why should I now have to pay for continual location updates so that maintenance software can be distributed? I’m paying for that volume of data for personal usage.  This abrupt policy shift doesn’t speak well for company integrity.   

0 Likes
Re: New Change – location updates are now on me
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

VerizCustomer wrote:

I’ve had a Verizon broadband card for well over a year, but just recently Verizon changed its policy on downloading location updates.  Apparently now the data downloaded to make location updates is charged against my monthly data allowance.  Location updates are now only possible after one is connected and their data meter per se is running. Did someone think folks wouldn’t notice? Why should I now have to pay for continual location updates so that maintenance software can be distributed? I’m paying for that volume of data for personal usage.  This abrupt policy shift doesn’t speak well for company integrity.   

This is not a change, at least for the MiFi. In the 20 months I've been using it I've always had to pay for location updates. 

0 Likes
podstolom
Enthusiast - Level 3

The integrity of Verizon Wireless has always been questionable, both in public forums and in courts of law, but the fact remains that charging for location data has always counted toward your data allowance, as the previous poster noted, and as I have also noted on my broadband mdem. This is nothing new.

0 Likes
VerizCustomer

This is a change.  For over a year I could open up my ‘VZA Access Manager’ and before I clicked on the ‘Connect WWAN’ button I would get notification of location updates that I could download. If I opted to update the locations it was done without my transmit/receive meter charging data to me. Now however, in order to get updates they go on my bill.  Verizon should not be sneaking in usage changes that affect my data volume or bill when we have already had an agreed upon contract.  It seems Verizon is more concerned about nickel and diming the customer than maintaining a quality network – I certainly won’t be downloading these constant location updates.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I doubt it's enough data to worry about.
0 Likes