New MiFi 4620L won't update firmware (still on 3.20.16)
timothyjay
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi everyone,

New Jetpack owner of a MiFi 4620L/LE device that I bought yesterday, and it works great. No issues in connection and charging so far, so I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I started to get notifications of a mandatory update available (currently on 3.20.16) and when I would choose "Install", it would restart but give me an error and say it was not installed and nothing was changed. It would keep doing that loop unless I choose "Defer" which ignores the update until I have to turn off the device again.

I tried doing it over the air/device as well as the web browser but so far no luck. Did a hard reset as well to see if that may help but so far, no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Tim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New MiFi 4620L won't update firmware (still on 3.20.16)
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Just to verify some things, you tried to log into your MiFi administration page (192.168.1.1) and update from there? Same thing happens?

You also tried using the update using the .PDF instruction? Same issue?

Software Update: Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4620L | Verizon Wireless

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Is the errors exact works as you posted them above? Or are there numbers or anything else?

0 Likes
timothyjay
Enthusiast - Level 2

@MiiHere I would get:

Firmware Update:

A mandatory firmware update is available. INSTALL.

After clicking INSTALL, I'd get:

Firmware Update:

All connections will be lost. Click OK when ready to start. OK.

When clicked, it would restart, then say:

Update Unsuccessful:

Sorry, there was a problem updating your MiFi4620L. No changes were made. OK.

After clicking OK, It would go to:

Firmware Update:

A mandatory firmware update is available. INSTALL. DEFER.

After clicking DEFER, it would say:

Firmware Update:

The firmware update will be installed upon the next startup. OK.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Just to verify some things, you tried to log into your MiFi administration page (192.168.1.1) and update from there? Same thing happens?

You also tried using the update using the .PDF instruction? Same issue?

Software Update: Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4620L | Verizon Wireless

timothyjay
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all your help MiiHere!

Using the MiFi administration page, same thing happen. It would prompt my MiFi that it has an update and go through the process I mentioned.

However, going through the pdf, I was able to FINALLY update from 3.20.16 to 3.30.13.

But now here's the kicker - it's still asking me to update my firmware. I'm assuming the linked file on the pdf is outdated and there's a new firmware somewhere because it's still asking me to update.

I did a search and it led me to Novatel's website with their support driver:

http://www.nvtl.com/index.php?cID=1049

However, that was only one file (as opposed to two on Verizon's pdf) and after downloading and going through the process, nothing seem to change with the device itself.

This is one confusing process Smiley Happy

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

In reading your post again, are you sure that 3.20.16 isn't the latest firmware? I pulled that .PDF right from Verizon. You should have a quick Chat session with Verizon to see what the current firmware is, if you do have it, I bet there is a setting on MiFi so it will stop alerting you to updates.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Rookie mistake on my part for not double checking what the latest firmware actually is. I will get another cup of coffee, that might help.

0 Likes
timothyjay
Enthusiast - Level 2

No problem, at least I was able to update my device to something newer MiiHere.

I contacted Verizon and unfortunately they have no answer for me. The link they referred me to is what you've already suggested, and I've told them it contains an old firmware.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Hopefully it's newer. Honestly though, I've never had a problem with firmware until I got a new Windows 8.1 laptop, then I had all kinds of "limited" internet issues. Since then I bought a new router and every time it comes back, I seem to be able to update firmware and cure the problem. Hopefully in your case it will still work for a long time before you encounter any issues.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I would bring the jetpack into a VZW store and ask a rep to complete the firmware update for you.  They will fail and then run you through your remaining options for replacement or support.  Firmware glitches are usually covered even when the warranty on a device has been exceeded.

0 Likes