Novatel Mobile Broadband Drivers - how do I manually uninstall them?
PaulWNolan

I am using Windows 7 and the Mifi 2200. I have tried to uninstall the Novatel Mobile Broadband drives through the control panel, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to manually remove those drivers from my computer? Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Novatel Mobile Broadband Drivers - how do I manually uninstall them?
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Try uninstalling the VZAccess Manager, this should allow for the uninstall of the generic drivers if you have the VZAccess that is.

Also, what do you mean by...It doesn't work when you uninstall?  Do you get an error, dialog message when attempting or does it just remain the Programs and Features?

0 Likes
PWNolan

I had been using a USB 720 modem for years without problem. I upgraded to the mifi 2200 and I uninstalled VZ Access manager using the control panel. I then used the control panel to uninstall the generic broadband drivers, windows goes through the motions of uninstalling, but it is stll listed in the list of programs. I went ahead anyway trying to install the new VZAM that came with the mifi 2200, but get an error message. (BTW, I am the same poster, I had to create a new account because I lost my userID).

Thanks for any help you can give.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I don't know anything about Windows 7, but if it has a device manager, you can probably delete the driver there.
0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Actually, sometimes Win 7 will leave the driver/software in the Programs & Features list if there are multiple drivers, etc. with one install.  Such as VZAccess Manager and Mobile Broadband Generic Drivers.

More than likely if you had restarted the system and went back to the list you more than likely would've seen them removed. What error is the VZAccess Manager/MIFI giving upon the install? 

Most times it will uninstall the software but not remove it from the list of Programs so you likely don't have anything to worry about.

To be on the safe side and begin with a clean install of the MIFI.

Try these steps:

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts, Change User Account Control Settings, then pull the slider all the way down to "Never Notify"

1. Make sure both devices are unplugged from the Computer.

2. Click Start, Control Panel.  Look at the top right of the Control Panel window just under the search box and if it says Category, click on it and choose Large Icons.  This will alphabetically list all items.

3. Choose Programs and Features

4. Scroll down and look for VZAccess Manager, Verizon Wireless Firmware update and the like.

5. If either of these exists, remove them.

6. Restart the computer, (Not shutdown)

7. Upon restart go to Start Control Panel, Internet Options.  Click on the "Connections" tab, verify there is nothing listed in the Dialup or VPN connections, if so, click on all the and then click Remove. Close when finished but stay in Control Panel.

8. From Control Panel, go to Phone and Modems, Click "Modems".  Remove all modems from this list if any with the exception of the internal modem.

9. Close the Control Panel and disable your Anti-Virus program.  Plug the MIFI in the USB port and begin the install.

Note:  The MIFI is also a Novatel Wireless device that has Generic Drivers, so you will see them in the Programs and Features list along with the VZAccess.

Let me know how it goes and if this was of any help.

0 Likes
apressman
I have a similar need to remove the mobile broadband drivers manually. I used PCMover to move apps from a 32 bit Win7 machine to a 64bit Win7 machine, including Mobile BroadBand drivers which, upon trying to install, gives me a 1720 error. I've found instructions to remove manually and have deleted the files I could find but still get the error. I'd hate to have to return the laptop or get Clear WiMax but I have to get some broadband working here.
0 Likes
Josmo

I am having the same problem with Windows 7.  Can not uninstall generic drivers and VZ Access Manager will not install on computer.  Did you get your problem solved? 

0 Likes
VZISCRAP

I'm another one having this problem.{please keep your posts courteous} at verizon have no clue. The blame it on microsoft. Hope an answer comes soon. I want every last remenant of Verizon crap off my machine.

0 Likes
bjohnsongbod

I'm having a problem moving from a former version of VZAccess manager to the 2200 also.  On an XP machine, I uninstalled VZ access manager through add/remove programs, but the 2200 looks for a driver it can't find, and then tells me a previous driver exists and to contact technical support.  Novatell has nothing on their site, of course.

The good news for me is the wireless MIFI works IF NOT PLUGGED INTO THE USB PORT.  The moment I plug it in, can't get to the internet.  Makes charging dificult if I don't have the wall unit.

It's VERY frustrating.

0 Likes
bjohnsongbod

I'm another user with the problem.  I did uninstall the application, but not all the drivers have been removed (according to the error message I get).  If I do a search in regedit, I see a couple of dozen entries for verizon still.

0 Likes