Question about absurd 4g data overages
golfergal21

With the 3g I used less than 2g in over 2 weeks, once upgrading to 4g I used over 2g in 4 days, basically .5g everyday.  I am not doing anything different.  I use the device for work and I do the same things everyday.  There is no way I should be using .5g a day doing just email and some Facebook.  I am extremely unhappy with this new device. I can see using a little more data because of the speed but not over 10 times the amount I used before.

Edited to start new discussion.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Question about absurd 4g data overages
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

All MiFis have the ability to switch back and stay in 3G only mode.  Try configuring the MiFi to 3G only and test it for a while to see if there is any impact.

If your MiFi behaves differently on 3G then there could be a network problem with the 4G towers in your area.  For example there could be interference in your home that forces the MiFi to reconnect and redownload your content multiple times before it can complete.  The 4G speed would mask these retries and make it appear that there are no problems.  If that is the case you could perform some more tests to see if you can isolate and improve the performance of your MiFi.  Likewise you can try some basic resets to grab a fresh connection with the local towers.

If you MiFi behaves the same on 3G then you know you are actually consuming that data.  You may not have actually done anything different from your point of view, but your connected devices are actually consuming more data than before.

While you are performing your 3G only test make sure that no other devices are connected.  This will ensure that the data reported on the VZW data reports is for your main machine.  Check in on your data reports frequently while testing if your MiFi doesn't have a data usage feature built into its screen.  If you have any other connected devices then you can try the same steps with them too and see if there are any consistencies.

0 Likes
golfergal21

I am not very happy with Verizon at the
moment and if I could would probably change providers.  I took the JetPack to
the store and they said it could not be switched to 3G only so gave me a
refurbished MiFi which would not stay connected.  Took the MiFi back and now
having to pay a restocking fee to get a JetPack back.  This is all very
frustrating and the data issue is not resolved.  I'm still trying to figure out
what is using over .5g a day and not have to pay more just to get back what I
had originally.  This is ridiculous.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

What Jetpack model(s) are we talking about here? 

We could have looked up the steps from the User Guide in a few moments.  No need to bring it to a store for that issue.   Not sure what happened at the store but there almost certainly is a way to switch all Jetpacks to 3G only mode.  Perhaps something in the conversation was taken out of context.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

golfergal21,

We want you to be happy with your service and certainly don't want to lose you; I appreciate the opportunity to help resolve this. The restocking fee only applies if you exchange the MiFi for a different model or return equipment, but if the device is defective Regarding your data, I definitely understand your concern, that can add up quickly;you can stop data usage by powering off the jetpack when not in use. Any cloud service(service to backup your data), or streaming of videe/music may cause this. Please review your running applications on any devices connected to it.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
golfergal21

I upgraded to a jetpack and had to return it since the store told me it could not me set to use 3G only which was suggested I do by Verizon.  The mifi worked horribly, it kept dropping int he middle of what I was doing and since I use it for business this was not acceptable.  Took it back and wanted the original jetpack back and that's when I was told there was a restocking fee.

I don't use any cloud service or play music or videos.  I don't even connect to my corporate vpn except on rare occasions.

0 Likes
golfergal21

It's the Jetpack 890L-2509.  The store said there was no way with that jetpack or any other jetpack so gave me a mifi which worked horribly.  Kept dropping in the middle of what I was doing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Roger that golfergal21! I fully understand your position. My sincere apologies that we would be unable to remove the restocking fee at this time. This fee would be a valid charge due to the exchange that was completed. Please keep us posted if we can be of any additional assistance going forward, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Bumbee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've experienced the same issue when staying with a 3G USB card, but changing to the Share Everything plan.  All of a sudden the 5gb we were getting by with has gone to 14gb and climbing.  I've installed Networx on my PC to monitor data going through my router.  Turns out that the router is seeing only ~1/3 of the traffic that Verizon's usage report shows.  A friend has had the same experience -- was getting by on 5gb and is now needing 20gb of data to avoid overage charges. 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Networx can only monitor the activity between the computer it is installed on and the router.  It does not capture everything that passes through the router.  Do you happen to have any other devices connected to the wireless router?  If so then your problem is most likely coming from that device instead.

If you only have the one computer connected to the router/usb modem combo then try enabling MAC filtering to ensure that only your one computer is connected.  This will rule out any uncertainties of any unknown device or data usage.

0 Likes