Question about being grandfathered in with Unlimited Data
AG17
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a broadband card from Verizon wireless which I bought almost two years ago. When I purchased it, Verizon was still offering the Unlimited Plan for the cards. Now I understand that if you buy a card now it has a monthly cap of 5GB. I’m already grandfathered into the unlimited thankfully because I go over 5GB every month.

Now my question is, when my plan is up in February would VW bully me or find some way to force me to renew my plan and get stuck with a 5GB/month cap? I feel that they’re going to want to get rid as many old unlimited data plan holders as they can and find any way to do it. Do you think this is possible?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Re: Question about being grandfathered in with Unlimited Data
PCD_Greg

In a perfect world you should be able to stick with your plan and upgrade your device. 

But in reality you would most likely get bullied into changing plans to get the new equipment .  I know that they are still honoring the Alltel unlimited cards, but their service seems to have gotten shady.

0 Likes
AG17
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well actually I don't plan on upgrading my device even when my plan is up.

0 Likes
AG17
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone else have any ideas?

0 Likes
3G4Gexpert

It is very simple.  If you renew your contract for another 2 years and they give you a discount on the device, your contract will be renewed at whatever the current contract currently is (aka, you lose your grandfathered unlimited plan).

The best way to get around this is to purchase a new device outright (no contract), then loginto www.verizonwireless.com/myacounts and do an ESN swap from the old device to the new device.  This will not change your contract in any way.  The only downside, is that you have to pay more for your new device.

0 Likes
cycledude

PCD_Greg wrote:

In a perfect world you should be able to stick with your plan and upgrade your device. 

But in reality you would most likely get bullied into changing plans to get the new equipment .  I know that they are still honoring the Alltel unlimited cards, but their service seems to have gotten shady.

this is certainly an interesting subject to me

my Alltel contract runs out in April and Alltel in no longer available here its now Verizon

i called and talked to Verizon tech support about this about a week ago and 2 different Verizon employees told me that all my Alltel benefits on my nationwide plan will be grandfathered over to Verizon even if i get a new Verizon phone someday (500 anytime minutes, 2 my circle numbers and tethering for un limited internet, with tax it all comes to about $72 a month)

sounds great but i've asked at some Alltel and Verizon dealers and they say the Verizon employees gave me incorrect information

if i loose all those benefits i will most likely be shopping for a different carrier

0 Likes
Oh-Joy

I just upgraded from the MiFi2200 to the Gateway LT on Black Friday and retained my unlimited plan.  Just don't change anything and you'll be grandfathered.  I was also grandfathered last year when I upgraded from the USB720 to the MiFi2200.

0 Likes
tweaked21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Once your contract is up, all that means is that you are no longer required to stay with your service. Your plan / service does not change. Only the fact that you can leave without a cancellation fee changes. Just keep paying your bill and everything remains the same.

For some reason, everyone seems to think that when a contract is up, your plan changes, but that isn't the case.

0 Likes
AG17
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info! No, I totally understand that once my contract is up I can still use the same plan until I upgrade or cancel. The only thing I'm worried about is that VW is going to push me to upgrade or find a reason to terminate my service so that I no longer have the "unlimited plan."

0 Likes