Question about upgrade 3g to 4g - USB modem
Frenchi

I have been on the phone with Verizon off and on all week, AND chatting with them on line in the store section.  I am grandfathered in on the unlimited 3g data plan with a MODEM!   The very nice people on the chat line who sell phones say if I pay full price for a modem, I can keep my unlimited data and have it switched to 4g.  GREAT!  I don't mind paying full price at all.  But when I call the Verizon customer service, they say no way, that option is only for regular telephones.  Please help!

<Branched to a new discussion and moved to the for more exposure.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Question about upgrade 3g to 4g - USB modem
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You cannot roll a 3G only data plan into a 4G LTE device.  4G LTE devices are on an entirely new (SIM card) network and the window to open an unlimited plan on them is long gone and over.  If you migrate to a 4G LTE device and plan your 3G Unlimited will be gone and you will have a tiered plan instead.

Verizon only offers new 4G LTE USB modems.

0 Likes
Frenchi

I'm fine with just keeping my 3g modem. I have received no letter, no contact what so ever. I was very ill this year with Post Conclusive Syndrome as the result of a sever confusion in March. I had no idea Verizon was trying to cut off 3g unlimited data customers until Apr. A week ago when I saw it on Google when I was looking to see where 4g coverage had progressed. I simply don't want to lose my 3g service. I have a telephone internet service also, but at 28.8 kbps, it is a sad speed.  I feel that since Verizon bought Alltells assets, they also assume their responsibilities.

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

0 Likes
Frenchi

Also, It would have been nice to have been notified in any way this was happening.  I have read many people have gotten a letter informing them of their fate, and that there was an oppurtunity ealier this year to change you device to 4g without losing your unlimited data.  Also, I feel if they allow the telephone unlimited data users to upgrade paying full price for a new device going from 3g to 4g, they should NOT DISCRIMINATE against modem owners.

0 Likes
Frenchi

I had a sever concussion.  My spelling goes to crap when I"m upset.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you currently using an Alltel branded USB modem? If so, then you should locate and purchase a Verizon Wireless branded 3G only USB modem to replace it.

The data is only being shut off for the Alltel branded device. Once you have a Verizon Wireless device, you're golden.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Frenchi

Smiley Happy

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

0 Likes
Frenchi

I bought a subsidized Verizon 3g modem 2 years ago extending my contract

for another 2 years. I liked it so much I have 2 more umw190 unused in

box ready to go because the new modems frankly get horrid reviews.

Thank you.

0 Likes