Question on firmware update and warranty
vzhater
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

If I try to update firmware and brick the device but am out of warranty does anyone know what they will do?  (Yes, I realize Verizon may or may not be on here to answer but frankly calling in doesn't help as you get different answers every time, I am just curious if anyone has run into this personally)

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Question on firmware update and warranty
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Devices that our out of warranty are out of luck when it comes to Verizon support...it doesnt matter what the problem is.

It depends on how far you got but firmware updates are normally not reversable after a certain point.  You might have luck re-trying the same firmware update from a different computer in hopes that it will write over the problem for you.  For example the 4510 MiFi's had an issue when firmware updates were performed from Mac's.  We resolved those issues by applying the same update from a PC.

You might have some luck trading in the device for a discount if you wished to purchase a new one at retail price.  Otherwise it might be more cost effective to see if there is a previously used/refurb device on an auction website.  There are always risks with any kind of pre-owned device.

0 Likes
vzhater
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, I haven't tried upgrading it yet 🙂 I was just curious if I should try, which based on people's luck with firmware updates from Verizon, I obviously shouldn't given your reply.  Then again, maybe if their firmware bricks the device I can get out of contract without term fee....now that is worth thinking about!

The last thing I would do is buy a new device at discount or not, Verzon has burned that bridge.  Not like I have any effect on their overal business but I do track the people I can sucessfully turn away from them in airports etc in my travels.  I am managing an average of 7 people per month (does fluxuate a bit depending on travel amount).  I put the device out when I am airport then when people ask about it I show them the disconnect problem and guide them towards either Sprint or ATT.  Again, not really affecting them much but the $560 average I am sending away from them does make the $94 average I am paying them a little more manageable. 😄

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If you are referring to upgrading the firmware then yes its worth a shot.  Can't hurt anything if your device is already bricked. Folks have reported success at getting free devices or discounted/covered ETF's when firmware updates have gone bad in the past.

Post back and share your results with us incase anyone else is ever caught in your situation.

0 Likes