Rouge Network Extender - How to ignore?
Network_Extender

I live in an apartment complex with over 100 units. My phone is constantly connected to a rouge network extender, which is not managed by the apartment management company. It takes anywhere from 5 to 20 attempts to make a successful outgoing call and 9 out of 10 incoming calls are immediately dropped upon answering the call. How do I force the phone to ignore a network extender?

I do not feel is it realistic expectation that I will knock on each unit and ask if they have an extender. For reference I have a Samsung Galaxy S5.

0 Likes
Re: Rouge Network Extender - How to ignore?
Snn5
Legend

You should only connect if you dial #48.  I can see a phone displaying the icon of the house with "fan" or whatever.  But, you shouldn't be able to connect to it unless you actually dial into it.  If you have advanced calling, you could try turning that on, since with AC on, a phone ill not connect to an extender.

0 Likes
Network_Extender

Unfortunately it auto-connects through the network extender. I see the icon (small home with two bars) above the signal strength and when dialing it gives the standard beep, then a second set of beeps confirming use of the extender. Now if there was a code I could dial to NOT use any extender then I would be in business.

I'll give AC a try once I figure out how to activate it - I get a message that "We encountered a problem activating advanced calling 1.0. Please try again later" - It may be I'm a member of a business account so I sent my helpdesk a note to get it turned on.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You can enable in My Verizon Features and Programs or by calling Verizon or Live Chat as well to turn the feature on at the account level.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for asking about this. As you have described your phone being picked up by a nearby Network Extender, it sounds like that person is not making use of the Whitelist feature on their unit. This is like a "members only" list that can prevent others from accidentally using it. We would need to know who this Extender owner is and then asking them to set up a Whitelist http://vz.to/1HryPjy . As for the suggestion of using Advanced Calling, that is a nice feature to have, but it wouldn't help in this case since the Extender and AC aren't compatible, which would result in your phone not making any calls at all.
RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Managed Access (Prioritized)

Provides priority access for up to 50 Verizon Wireless mobile numbers.

However, this only gives priority of the 6 available slots to those 50 numbers.

This does not keep someone from accessing the Extender unless all 6 slots are tied up or either 6 of the first 50 allowed users are using the extender.  Any open slot can still be accessed, since the 7th slot is for E-911, and cannot be blocked.

0 Likes