Samsung Galaxy Tablet
hdbikerdave

I recently purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tablet and find it to work well as a standalone device but when I connect my laptop/laptops to it everything goes into a crawl and I just can't use it as designed in the Hotspot mode. Anyone have any suggestions? I hate to return it as if I could get it to work better (faster when in Hotspot mode) it would be beneficial but it certainly is not acceptable as is. HELP!!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy Tablet
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Hdbikerdave,

Adding to what was stated by dimap, did the information help? Are you still experiencing the slow response when using your hotspot? Please bear in mind that the more devices you have connected to your hotspot and depending on what each laptop is doing at that same time during the access, this can slow the response time down. This is because all the laptops are pulling on the same signal on the tab to share its resources. Perhaps you can try clearing the temporary internet files and cache on your laptops to see if this improves your speed. I would suggest using one laptop at a time checking on the speed and response. Then continue to add one laptop at a time, checking how they response when connected to your hotspot. This could help you in seeing if one of the laptops are contributing to response issue. Here is a link for further reference using your device as a hotspot.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

There are many factors that influence WiFi transfer speed. Since WiFi operates on a narrow band of unlicensed spectrum, there may be sources of interference from other devices operating on the same 2.4 GHz band, e.g. other wi-fi networks, microwave ovens, baby monitors, etc. It could also be that the transciever in the tablet is weak and isn't putting out a strong enough signal to fascilitate hotspot very well. Have you gotten this slowdown with only ONE laptop attached, or with more than one? If so, and interference seems to be the problem, try changing the channel on which the WiFi radio operates; most wifi radios default to the same channel and there are 3 or four that they can be switched to. The procedure for doing this varies with different radios, so you might google this to see how it is done on the Samsung.

Distance between devices and the laptops also plays a factor as a weak signal degrades further with distance. Also, are you running the tablet on AC or battery power?

On the broadband side, it is possible that for some reason where you are, the tablet might be switching from EVDO (3G) to 1xRTT (2G) mode whille tethering, which is MUCH slower than 3G. Go into your settings-wierless networks mode and see if this is happening. This indicates your towers are saturated, as more bandwidth is used when tethering.  Try going to a different area where usage might be less caturated to see if this imporves the situation.

Lastly, it's possible verizon is deliberately slowing the hotspot feature down because they are not charging extra for it on tablets. I doubt if this is the case but it's possible, knowing Verizon.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents...good luck!!

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Hdbikerdave,

Adding to what was stated by dimap, did the information help? Are you still experiencing the slow response when using your hotspot? Please bear in mind that the more devices you have connected to your hotspot and depending on what each laptop is doing at that same time during the access, this can slow the response time down. This is because all the laptops are pulling on the same signal on the tab to share its resources. Perhaps you can try clearing the temporary internet files and cache on your laptops to see if this improves your speed. I would suggest using one laptop at a time checking on the speed and response. Then continue to add one laptop at a time, checking how they response when connected to your hotspot. This could help you in seeing if one of the laptops are contributing to response issue. Here is a link for further reference using your device as a hotspot.

0 Likes