Samsung MiFi A Total Headache
DrPBaxter

I am currently on my third MiFi device and second sim card and for the past three weeks either the service was dropped totally or the Sim card shows not activated.  Two and half weeks without a dedicated internet service and Tech Supports answer is to "push through 4G activation" -- but that would be another 5 days to do.  So their answer to no or very intermittent service or 20 day period is to have me denied service for another 5 days.  I suggested the Samsung device is the problem since four separate TechSupport people agreed and send three new devices on separate occasion but when I suggest I be sent the newer Novatel MiFi -- the Tech person said that I would have to be without service for 5 days and then, even then, he couldn't guarantee the "pushed activation" would work either.  What do you call a service contract that doesn't provide service???  -- NOT a contract.  Thank you Verizonwireless for collecting my money and patience and for not providing me with a dedicated wireless service.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung MiFi A Total Headache
dudley

I agree, my experience with this device has been horrible.  I am constantly resetting it to get it to work another 20 minutes or so and then it bogs down and I reset it again.  When it decides to work I have to say it is fast but it is totally unreliable.  I have tried every trick I have seen posted here but nothing has improved reliability. Is it the device or the network, I don't know.  This is my first experience with Verizon and it hasn't been pretty.  I don't know if a different device would work better but I may be just donating more money to Verizon for another unsatisfactory result.  Would love to hear if anyone has had satisfactory service from the Samsung/Verizon team. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Good evening!

The 4G mi-fi devices are awesome and fast. I'm more than happy to investigate the issues you have been experiencing. Please feel free to PM me with your name and mi-fi mobile number for further assistance with the connection issues.

Thank you!

0 Likes
seb83

I'm having the same problems, was locking up tonight and I upgraded the code, changed to WPA2/AES and set the power options to not turn off power after the default 30 minutes and have had some success.  I've been online for several hours with no problems.  Crossing my fingers that this will solve my connection problems.  I'm thinking of swapping the samsung out for the verizon version if this doesn't work.  Would be curious if these settings work for others having these random connection drops.

I'm also wondering if this is power related.  Each time I have experienced problems I noticed I was low on battery and had to plug in and charge via usb or power plug/usb.  I notice that when the power is low and attempting to charge via usb while delivering service it seems like the device can't do both.  Again this low power observation is just speculation.  More observation needed.

0 Likes
yaryou

I am having the same headaches as mentioned above.  Service will show no connection on computer but device shows availability either in 4G or 3G.  Have to reset constantly.  It's driving us nuts.  I have gotten the message "There may be a problem with your Domain Name Server (DNS) configuration" when I have requested diagnosis of the problem on my computer but don't know what to do about it.  We have two laptops that we use with the 4G LTE and it is usually plugged into the wall when in use so it is not a battery issue.  Please help!  Thanks

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

I have all of the same problems with dropped connections, "phantom" connections. I think to some degree it is related to battery state of charge, because disconnects are more common when the battery is below 50%, but they happen even when charged to 90% (it seems to be impossible to charge it to 100%).

It's not much consolation, but owners of the Novatel 4G are reporting similar problems, and my associate with a 4G USB modem has the same problems. So it would appear to be flakey network as at least part of the problem.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

I see that Verizon has said that an update is coming RSN* to fix the problems with the LC-11.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/lc11.pdf

best regards,

Larry

*RSN=Real Soon Now

0 Likes
Smabbage

It was released last night.  Haven't had a chance to install it but I hope it fixes the connectivity issues.

0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi yaryou,

I understand your frustration regarding your frequent disconnects.  I am hopeful the software update mentioned by PCDLarry will resolve your issues.  Please let me know if your require any additional assistance.

Thank your for your contribution to our community forums,

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

I installed the update and have been testing it at one location today. It was relatively reliable, but it DID disconnect twice, once in the first 5 minutes, and again after another 2 1/2 hours. There were also several periods where it showed connected but I could not transfer any data. I have a relatively weak 4G signal at this location. So overall it is better, but still not as reliable as my 3G MiFi 2200.

I will continue testing; where I have had my real complaints is when riding commuter trains, where it would disconnect frequently even where there was a good signal.

One thing that is NOT fixed is the fact that it is impossible to charge the battery to 100%. Also, even when connected to the power adapter it loses charge when in use. And I am on my third battery.

0 Likes