Share internet connection using USB760?
mikeac

Hey I'm kinda new here, and I want to ask the Verizon Community a question...

I have the USB760 mobile broadband device and I want to know if I can share it's internet connection through Ad-Hoc on Windows 7.

I have an Atheros Wireless adapter embedded in my laptopalong with a router at home, where I can connect stuff like my iPod Touch and my sons DS through Wifi, but when my family is on the go, I can't do that.  I have to go to McDonald's or another hotspot so I can connect my iPod and stuff to the internet.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Share internet connection using USB760?
Not applicable

The easiest way is with a CradlePoint CTR350 portable router.  I have one and it works great.

http://moremobileinternet.com/mobile-router/

0 Likes
mikeac

I have a budget, and really don't want to get one right now.  Money's tight.

0 Likes
Hemingray
Enthusiast - Level 3

Easiest way to do this is to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the notebook using the USB760. Simply share the Wireless Network Connection (the one for the WLAN adaptor you're setting up in ad-hoc) with the dialup connection named "VZAccess" (or a similar named connection).

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

You cannot make the USB760 a wireless acces point to serve out to other computers and a router.  You would need something like the cradlepoint router.  The purpose of this router is the connect the USB device directly to that and get the internet connection and the serve out the connection wirelessly.

0 Likes
sharonjdoty

Can you talk me through how to "Simply share the Wireless Network Connection (the one for the WLAN adaptor you're setting up in ad-hoc) with the dialup connection named "VZAccess" (or a similar named connection)."?  Not the sharpest pencil in the box, maybe....

LOL!

0 Likes
Hemingray
Enthusiast - Level 3

Instructions are for WinXP but may be the same with Vista/7

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

0 Likes
DRH

I would also like to share my broadband wireless connection via Ad Hoc wifi from my laptop.  Problem is when VZAccess manager is running it takes over the setup configuration for my internal wifi card and will not allow windows to set up an Ad Hoc network.  VZAccess manager does not seem to have a provision for setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network over the wifi card.  To summarize:

1.  When VZAccess manager is running with a connection to broadband wireless, VZAccess manager will not allow me set up an Ad Hoc wifi network to share that connection via wifi.

2.  If I close VZAccess Manager, I can set up the Ad Hoc network, but then I can't connect to Verizon broadband wireless.

Is there a way to simultaneously connect to Verizon broadband wireless and have an Ad Hoc network?   Thanks for your help....

0 Likes