Sharing USB modem?
moowho

I have a desktop PC with a UM150 modem and a netbook with a UMW190 modem - 2 separate accounts.  I would like to be able to use the UMW190 on my desktop computer when my UM150 account is getting near the 5G max.  Is it possible to share the UMW190 with both computers (not being used at the same time, just accessing the account so I don't go over my allotment on the other account)?  And, if so, what's the easiest way to do that?

0 Likes
Re: Sharing USB modem?
Not applicable
Get a CradlePoint router. I have a CTR350 and MBR1000 and both work great. It just depends on what features you need. I got mine here: http://moremobileinternet.com/
0 Likes
moowho

Thanks!  I'll look into that when I go into town tomorrow.  Another thought - is it possible to just install the UMW190 software in my PC and then just plug it in when I want to use that one instead of the UM150 modem?  Or is there some conflict with the 2 devices and their respective software being on the same computer?

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

I've never tried 2 3G modems on one pc before, but VZ access manager should work with both, as long as you have both modem drivers installed on your computer it should see either one, depending on which one is plugged in.

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

That is correct.  As long as you have the drivers installed for both devices, the VZAccess Manager will work both devices.

You may have to go through activation on the devices when switching from one to the other but it will work both without any issues.

0 Likes
moowho

Thanks, lookin!  I went ahead and installed the 190 (or rather it pretty much did it by itself once I plugged it into the USB port!) and all is well.  It updated to the newest Access Manager and now if both are plugged in, I just have to choose which one I want.  I switched back and forth a few times without difficulty and once one is removed it just asks if I want to switch over to the other.  The interesting part is that the older one (it's a UM175, not 150) works better - I have more bars and connections are faster, plus less trouble trying to open multiple browser tabs at one time.

0 Likes