Should MiFi get hot when left on wall charger?
tinstaafl
Enthusiast - Level 2

My desktop is on (and online) 24/7 while my wife goes online with her laptop several times a day. The MiFi is tethered to my computer so my wife has to unplug it to get the WiFi, then re-tether it when she is finished (so it doesn't get forgotten and run the battery all the way down).

My preference would be to leave the MiFi plugged in to the wall charger 24/7 so that she could go online at any time without the un-tether/tether bit. Also, when on the wall charger the MiFi is plugged in on a high shelf above a window and gets a near full signal.

The problem is that when left on the wall charger it also gets hot. Is this a problem? Should it not get hot?

Thanks for whatever info you can give me.

0 Likes
Re: Should MiFi get hot when left on wall charger?
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I have seen it get hot but there are factors that contribute to it.  It needs to be in a space to get adequate air flow, not covered by things.  Also, if putting it in a window, any direct sunlight may also affect the temperature.  I keep mine plugged in 24/7 as well and while it gets hot at times, it has not affected the performance and has not become unbearably hot.

0 Likes
Re: Should Miff get hot when left on wall charger?
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

No, you shouldn't worry, all chargers get hot when they are plugged into an outlet for a long period of time but make sure you unplug it when it's not in use to conserve energy.

0 Likes
WH_JD

If you just want to leave it plugged in and turned on all the time, I would suggest just pulling the battery out and using it plugged in without the battery. The power button will blink red, but the mifi will work as desired. Just make sure to hit the power button to turn it on 😛

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

WH_JD wrote:

If you just want to leave it plugged in and turned on all the time, I would suggest just pulling the battery out and using it plugged in without the battery. The power button will blink red, but the mifi will work as desired. Just make sure to hit the power button to turn it on 😛

That's a thought for laptop-USB use, as well.  No need to put the extra drain of charging the MiFi battery on the laptop.

--

clarence

0 Likes