Sierra Wireless EM7455 not connecting
PAUHEN60

Windows 10 network diagnostics reports "Enter a SIM PIN2 to unlock the mobile broadband device"; however, Verizon Connection Manager reports SIM Lock N/A.  Verizon tele-sales assures that line is activated and IMEI and ICCID have been double checked.  Firmware has been updated/removed/reinstalled.  Status still shows: "Not connected" "No Service" APN=vzwinternet.  This is on Lenovo T560.  Despite obtaining/installing latest drivers, EM7455 firmware sits at SWI9X30C_02.08.02.00 (how can a flash update be forced...).

0 Likes
Re: Sierra Wireless EM7455 not connecting
PAUHEN60

I'd like to understand if Verizon has caused broadband cards (such as the Sierra Wireless EM7455) to successfully function by affecting settings on the related line.  In the same vein, can Verizon conduct a test to ensure that the line is functioning properly for broadband card use so as to rule out the line?  I'm concerned that the online activation functionality (MyVerizon/My Devices/Activate SIM) claims that the SIM card (sent to me by Verizon expressly for this purpose) is not compatible for this need (I tried all options: Smartphone, Tablet, Mobile Hotspot, USB Modem).  Does the Active SIM not support this scenario?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want to see you have an issue, Pauhen60. We don't change any settings on a line. If the device supports our network, it should use the Sim card and connect. Were you having issues using the mobile hotspot feature or using a Verizon Jetpack? Were you getting an error message when activating? 

Joe_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PAUHEN60

Hello Joe, I'm not using the mobile hotspot feature nor am I using a Verizon Jetpack.  I have a Sierra Wireless broadband card with a Verizon supplied SIM.  The Windows 10 operating system shows this as a "Cellular" network right alongside the wireless network.  The configuration includes informing Verizon on the IMEI (unique ID of laptop) and the IccID (unique ID of SIM).  Upon booting, a dialogue box shows that mobile broadband is being configured and it gets to 37%, delays, then terminates with error (81).  I gather that it is trying to access the cellular network during the delay, which obviously fails.  I'm hoping that someone at Verizon interfaces with Sierra Wireless and that both companies would want to support those purchasing their products/services - please help...

Sierra EM7455.png

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The line you are referring to has become corrupted and thinks that it is SIM locked with a PIN.  Have a VZW rep reset the line and then retest.  They can sometimes resynch the network connection for the line for a quick fix.  In other scenarios they have to remove and then re-add the line to your account.

This has happened to me before with our EM7455 modems and VZW tech support was able to resolve it for us.  Use the phone or Chat support options.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello PAUHEN60, 

Thank you John Getzke for your input. I'm more than happy to assist PAUHEN60 with this issue. I have sent a Direct Message in the Community Forums. Please reply as soon as possible so we can make sure everything is up and running.

Thanks so much,

Christina_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PAUHEN60

Resetting the line was a no-go.  The Sierra Wireless Skylight app provided the insight that the broadband device configuration is failing on a firmware update upon startup.  Other forums showed some who experienced this after upgrading to Windows 10.  Manually updating the firmware fails with the primary error code 51 "Failed to switch device to BOOT&HOLD mode."  Does Lenovo need to collaborate with Sierra Wireless to provide a properly functioning firmware update package for Windows 10 (Lenovo T560; Windows 10 Pro Edition; Sierra Wireless EM7455)?  Here are the screenshots re above:

Upon Booting:

Sierra Wireless Configuration - 1.jpg

Sierra Wireless Configuration - 2.jpg

Manual Firmware Update:

Sierra Wireless Configuration - 3.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PAUHEN60, thank you for those screenshots. We are committed to getting your device up and running. Have you attempted to change out the sim card and try a new one? Also, have remove and reinstalled Verizon Connection manager? Katrina_VZW

0 Likes
PAUHEN60

Hello, thank you for your questions.  I have not tried swapping out the SIM card as the device properly recognizes when the SIM is installed and when it is not.  I'm also able to interact with the SIM card as I removed the default PIN such that no PIN is required to use the device.  I did remove all the software and reinstall everything (Sierra and WWAN drivers, Verizon Connection Manager, Sierra apps, MyVerizon Mobile).  I have removed the device and uninstalled from Device Manager and re-added/renabled.  The startup attempts to configure the device and as the screenshots demonstrate, the firmware update to the Sierra Wireless card fails.  It's back at version 02.08.... and it should update to at least 02.24...  in order to work on the Verizon network.  I don't know how to get past the primary error code 51 "Failed to switch device to BOOT&HOLD mode." reported by the firmware upgrade software...

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If your firmware update is failing then chances are the modem is hosed and needs to be swapped out.  We have never been able to repair a firmware update that fails in the field.  We have always had to send it back into our hardware manufacturer to resolve the issue.

I suggest working with Lenovo or whoever your hardware contractor is on this one.  VZW is not involved with the software update process for built in modems for scenarios like this.  All of those responsibilities fall on Lenovo and Sierra Wireless to resolve for you.  Mention the firmware update failure and see if they have any tricks for you.  Share with us if you can get it working, Id be happy to try on my next one for verification too.  If not then request they repair this broken modem for you under the warranty.  Its unlikely that you will be able to resolve this problem with software alone.  Once the modem stops responding there isn't a whole lot you can do.

BOOT and HOLD mode is used for firmware updates.  Since the firmware is unable to switch the firmware to this mode it will not be able to proceed.  Perhaps the Modem is already in a Low Power Mode (LPM) or something else that is blocking it from powering up and receiving the firmware commands.  Its likely the previous attempt failed for some reason and now the modem is in a compromised state.

0 Likes