Signal suddenly fluctuating, told there were "network changes."
adkmt

I have had my Novatel USB760 since August and have had no problems with it., EVDO RSSI usually in the -80s.  All of a sudden a few days ago it started fluctuating from the -90s up to -117 and switching from mobile broadband to national access.  When it is at -117 it is practically unusable.  I called and reported the problem yesterday morning and got a call back today saying that "network changes" were made, the information about which was "proprietary", that I am in a questionable area (which I was not when I signed up) and that they cannot guaratee my service.  They said I can get out my contract without a penalty or get a free upgrade to 4G when it becomes available (???).  That's a great offer, but it doesn't help me any,  I work from home and need decent internet.  I left Hughesnet because it had become impossibly slow most of the time that I needed it.

I want to understand why a "network change" would be made that would give me less signal out here and if there is anything that can be done about it. 

0 Likes
Re: Signal suddenly fluctuating, told there were "network changes."
jpabon
I also have the USB760 and live outside of the city limits. The first one that I got was the USB720 and it did great for for the first 2 years then all of sudden it started getting slow. I called in August 2010 and they told me that I needed to probably upgrade so I did to the 760. I did not see any difference it was still slow. I have checked my EVDO RSSI and it is running the same as yours. I think that dial up (which was all that I could get at the time) is probably faster. I wished that I had not upgraded my service because for one thing I was getting a 24% company discount when I upgraded my service they took it away without not notifying me. When I called them about it they told me that it was removed because the mobile broadband did not qualify it was only good for cell phones! I had been getting this discount since 2007. I have been checking my signal strength and have only had 1-2 bars. I will see what they tell me.
0 Likes
Re: Signal suddenly fluctuating, told there were "network changes."
Sotier

Verizon customer service may not tell you if you have exceeded your GB threshold, which in turn can affect your service. I have an unlimited plan, and over the holidays exceeded some invisible threshold they have for unlimited customers. As I called customer support, trying to determine why my service was so slow, I found on other posts this practice.

0 Likes