Talking Reinvented - Introducing Verizon Hub
Jay-VzW
Contributor - Level 1

Welcome to the Home Phone Reinvented

A New Way to Message
Send text, picture or video messages to keep everyone in the loop

A Fresh Way to Stay Informed
Use V CAST to watch video on your home phone.

A Simple Way to Plan a Trip to the Movies
Get titles and trailers and buy tickets in a few touches.

hub.jpg

Not convinced, Learn More now - or if you are ready to take the plunge, get Get Started now!

Message Edited by Jay-VzW on 04-16-2009 03:37 PM
0 Likes
28 Replies
section08
Enthusiast - Level 1

as of today this **bleep** has finally been discontinued. now i'm stuck paying $40/month for a sucky product vz will no longer support. i should've known better.

0 Likes
AndySiegel

I got my Hub in March '09 really excited about the possibilities and the potential of this device.  Yes, I think the service is overpriced considering how much I'm paying for the internet service it's using.  But it saves me money in the long run.  I am a bit disappointed that Verizon doesn't do a better job of keeping customers informed about future enhancements.  We all know the potential for the HUB, but I get the feeling that it is what it is and no one is working on realizing any of that potential.  There should also be a forum or site where we can make enhancement requests.  Among mine are:

Utilize the USB port for a webcam, pull caller-id from the telco and pass it on to the hub, bluetooth capability for a handsfree headset, allow more handsets, improved ringing, more memory, allow for an ATA (analog telephone adapter) for devices that require an analog telephone emulation - fax, home security, etc.

0 Likes
dannsh

I have a comment and suggestion for the Marketing people. I Centurytel for my phone service. Now I can transfer my number to Verizon and get a Hub. However as a Current Verizon Wireless customer I find the $299.99 cost for the Hub with the $34.99 a month fee a bit much along with my Verizon Wireless Bill. Now I could save $15.00 a month by dropping Centurytel Voice and keeping their internet service. I also understand there is a 2 year contract. I suggest that you offer your Verzion Wireless customers a

free Verizon Hub to make the switch.  In would take me around 20 months to break even if I paid $299.99 up front for the Hub. 

0 Likes
Hubuser

It turns out that if you call Verizon Hub support and request Call Intercept, they record your request and your Hub ID. They are evaluating the demand. Please call and request this feature.

0 Likes
bassmaster

Hi Jay!

I currently use the verizon one ,similar to this, but it works with a traditional phone jack, has a built in router. Could I use the one phone to serve as my router, Or will I need to purchase a new router?  I love the verizon one phone, which is discontinued :smileysad:, and no longer shows the weather on the screen.... So I thought this looks about as close as I'll get to a verizon one phone. Question: Does this bill go with the wireless service, with the dsl service, or all together seperate?

Aso when I purchased the one phone, they extended payments of 3 months to my phone bill, can they do something similar with this phone?

0 Likes
simons677
Hi Jay - can you tell me when the Verizon HUB will be available for business customers and what the pricing structure might be?  Thanks.
0 Likes
Jay-VzW
Contributor - Level 1

simons677 wrote:
Hi Jay - can you tell me when the Verizon HUB will be available for business customers and what the pricing structure might be?  Thanks.

We do not have business pricing as of yet - as soon as the information is publicly available - I will post to this community.

0 Likes
blkwel
Am I right in reading that you can only text from the hub to other Verizon wireless phones?  Our family currently uses alltel, and my stepdaughter ATT so does that mean I shouldn't purchase a hub?  Why wouldn't you be able to text any number?  I really like the concept of this thing for my family, but if it's that restrictive for texting it kind of loses its appeal.  Any info would be appreciated!
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

blkwel wrote:
Am I right in reading that you can only text from the hub to other Verizon wireless phones?   Any info would be appreciated!

Right now, the hub can only send text messages to other verizon wireless customers.  From the cnet review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-and-smart/verizon-hub/4505-6448_7-33541040-2.html?tag=txt;page

You can send text and picture messages from the Hub, plus you can receive text, picture, and video messages. But you can only do so with Verizon Wireless cell phones, or with another Verizon Hub. You can also access your e-mail on the Hub. We mentioned earlier that you can use the Hub as a digital picture frame

0 Likes
kelly1
Contributor - Level 1
Is the Verizon One phone still available?  I went to ask about this "hub" and I think that it is unfair that only WIRELESS customers are able to purchase it.  You can't use the prepaid service on it either, but you need either a one or two year agreement.  I don't want to be tied into a contract, where you are charged a numerous amount of fees and other so called "charges".  Why can't non-wireless customers use this?  So, is the Verizon One still available and if not, are there any hubs that can be purchased from anywhere and used with Verizon?
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

kelly1 wrote:
Is the Verizon One phone still available?  I went to ask about this "hub" and I think that it is unfair that only WIRELESS customers are able to purchase it.  You can't use the prepaid service on it either, but you need either a one or two year agreement.  I don't want to be tied into a contract, where you are charged a numerous amount of fees and other so called "charges".  Why can't non-wireless customers use this?  So, is the Verizon One still available and if not, are there any hubs that can be purchased from anywhere and used with Verizon?

No, Verizon One has been discontinued for some time now.

Not being allowed to use prepaid service kind of makes sense, but, you might not agree.  This device is unlike the Verizon One in that it is a Voice over IP(VoIP) device.  The Verizon One worked with your plain old telephone service.  

I am guessing that since this is being offered by Verizon WIreless, they are probably using the same process (right or wrong) as their other non-prepaid phones.  Hence the need for a contract & early termination fees which I recall is standard Verizon wireless process.  So, it makes sense that they are doing it that way, atleast in my mind.  Do I agree?  Not really.  I would like to buy one, like you, without the need for a contract or monthly fee like the old Verizon One phone.  <sigh>

Since it is a VoIP device, you can't really bring your own telephone or internet service to the party to make the hub work.  You have to use their service for it to work.   It is not all that much different than trying to get a cell phone, say iPhone, from AT&T to work on the Verizon Wireless network.   It's all in the network.  :smileyhappy:

I wish my speculations were more in line w/what you were thinking but for now, we're stuck.  I'll have to sit on the sidelines for now.  :smileysad:

I have a friend who has one and he loves it.  But, he's kind of a geeky guy so I guess he would.

0 Likes
Hubuser

Jay,

We just installed the Verizon Hub this week and are happy with it and the feature set. Do you know if there are plans for two things that would really make this a "killer application":

1) Call screening that will work similar to "Privacy Manager" whereby a caller must give their name in response to a prompt or enter a pre-established code number to bypass the screening. Privacy Manager then forwards the given name (or puts through the call if the code is entered) to the subscriber who may elect to dump the call, answer or put it in VM; and

2) Providing for additonal headsets - call me lazy but we like to have them in every room, the garage, basement, kitchen, bathrooms and even utility room, even though they are wireless. We currently have a need for 5 additional headsets.

Why I believe number 1 above is a killer app is the rapidly increasing number of unwanted and sometimes illegal unsolicited commercial phone calls/messages. There is probably a dollar figure I would not agree to pay for such a feature but it is likely to be fairly high! The ability to block 12 numbers is not sufficient for two reasons, the sheer number of these callers and the fact that they spoof their caller IDs.

0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

Hubuser wrote:

Jay,

We just installed the Verizon Hub this week and are happy with it and the feature set. Do you know if there are plans for two things that would really make this a "killer application":

1) Call screening that will work similar to "Privacy Manager" whereby a caller must give their name in response to a prompt

2) Providing for additonal headsets -

#1 - I think this might do what you want it to do and you already have it for free!  Even if it isn't exactly what you want, at least the price is right.   :smileywink:   Incoming call block-how to
#2 - yes you can purchase additional handsets & charging bases.  See Packages/accessorites
0 Likes
jfitzpa503
I called 611 regarding this device. No one there seemed to know the answer. Do you get a seprate phone # for the device? Can you switch your cell # over to the Hub when home and back again when you leave for the day?
0 Likes
Skybase
Enthusiast - Level 2

You do get a separate phone number for the Hub.  In fact, you cannot UPGRADE a line to the hub either at this point. It must be a new line of service.  In your account info online it's not even listed with your other phone numbers, but in it's own section.  Your area must be e911 ready to be able to activate the hub as well.  Areas that are still not e911 capable the phone cannot legally be activated in.  It requires an address entered upon activation, and the system does not allow activation in non e911 areas at all.  Only way around that if you're in such an area would be to say that you'll be using it somewhere else that IS. . however when/if you call 911 on the phone it'll route you to that local department.

You cannot change the number back and forth when you're home/not home however you can set the hub to forward calls to another number. So when you go to leave the house you can set it to the correct mode, and it'll ring to your cellphone rather than the home phone.  

You can also set reminders on the calendar and have those reminders sent to any number of your cellphones at a variety of different intervals before the event.

So as you're basically asking, yes if someone calls the house and you're not there, you can set the hub to send the call to your cellphone instead.

I'm currently finding the hub to be quite buggy, however, and am strongly considering returning mine until some of the bugs are worked out.  I can't afford to have an unreliable home-phone for all of my kids, and to be paying much more for it than a standard cellphone for at home as well.

0 Likes
KaiserBob
Enthusiast - Level 3
199.99 with a 2 year contract, 34.99/mo for unlimited digital voice service, M2M messaging and the other little features the HUB has.
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Jay,

what's the cost of a cool looking phone like this and how can people attain them.

0 Likes
turrentj

Good afternoon.

I have been reading a lot about the HUB.  One question that I still have and can't seem to find an answer to is this:

The way I understand it is that the HUB will come with it's own telephone number.  I take the HUB and plug it's router into MY router with is UVERSE.  Will they be compatible?

0 Likes
sharpen04
The HUB can be plugged into a router or modem or set up wirelessly if your router transmits a wifi signal.  It doesn't come with a router and depends on an existing connection to the internet.  You can test it for 30 days and take it back if it's not compatible or you don't like it.  There is, however, a restocking fee of $35 if you return it, because it can't be resold as "new."
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1
It's better to be 'talking' (wirelessly or plugged in) to a router than a modem.  Most modems only have 1 ethernet connection out so if the hub is plugged into it, then you have nothing left for your PC.   WIFI routers the way to go.
Message Edited by MagicMan on 04-25-2009 10:08 PM
0 Likes