Re: Talking Reinvented - Introducing Verizon Hub
Jay-VzW
Contributor - Level 1

simons677 wrote:
Hi Jay - can you tell me when the Verizon HUB will be available for business customers and what the pricing structure might be?  Thanks.

We do not have business pricing as of yet - as soon as the information is publicly available - I will post to this community.

0 Likes
Jay-VzW
Contributor - Level 1

turrentj wrote:

Good afternoon.

I have been reading a lot about the HUB.  One question that I still have and can't seem to find an answer to is this:

The way I understand it is that the HUB will come with it's own telephone number.  I take the HUB and plug it's router into MY router with is UVERSE.  Will they be compatible?

Not familiar with UVERSE router in particular, but it should work with most recently manufactured routers.

0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

blkwel wrote:
Am I right in reading that you can only text from the hub to other Verizon wireless phones?   Any info would be appreciated!

Right now, the hub can only send text messages to other verizon wireless customers.  From the cnet review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-and-smart/verizon-hub/4505-6448_7-33541040-2.html?tag=txt;page

You can send text and picture messages from the Hub, plus you can receive text, picture, and video messages. But you can only do so with Verizon Wireless cell phones, or with another Verizon Hub. You can also access your e-mail on the Hub. We mentioned earlier that you can use the Hub as a digital picture frame

0 Likes
kelly1
Contributor - Level 1
Is the Verizon One phone still available?  I went to ask about this "hub" and I think that it is unfair that only WIRELESS customers are able to purchase it.  You can't use the prepaid service on it either, but you need either a one or two year agreement.  I don't want to be tied into a contract, where you are charged a numerous amount of fees and other so called "charges".  Why can't non-wireless customers use this?  So, is the Verizon One still available and if not, are there any hubs that can be purchased from anywhere and used with Verizon?
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

kelly1 wrote:
Is the Verizon One phone still available?  I went to ask about this "hub" and I think that it is unfair that only WIRELESS customers are able to purchase it.  You can't use the prepaid service on it either, but you need either a one or two year agreement.  I don't want to be tied into a contract, where you are charged a numerous amount of fees and other so called "charges".  Why can't non-wireless customers use this?  So, is the Verizon One still available and if not, are there any hubs that can be purchased from anywhere and used with Verizon?

No, Verizon One has been discontinued for some time now.

Not being allowed to use prepaid service kind of makes sense, but, you might not agree.  This device is unlike the Verizon One in that it is a Voice over IP(VoIP) device.  The Verizon One worked with your plain old telephone service.  

I am guessing that since this is being offered by Verizon WIreless, they are probably using the same process (right or wrong) as their other non-prepaid phones.  Hence the need for a contract & early termination fees which I recall is standard Verizon wireless process.  So, it makes sense that they are doing it that way, atleast in my mind.  Do I agree?  Not really.  I would like to buy one, like you, without the need for a contract or monthly fee like the old Verizon One phone.  <sigh>

Since it is a VoIP device, you can't really bring your own telephone or internet service to the party to make the hub work.  You have to use their service for it to work.   It is not all that much different than trying to get a cell phone, say iPhone, from AT&T to work on the Verizon Wireless network.   It's all in the network.  :smileyhappy:

I wish my speculations were more in line w/what you were thinking but for now, we're stuck.  I'll have to sit on the sidelines for now.  :smileysad:

I have a friend who has one and he loves it.  But, he's kind of a geeky guy so I guess he would.

0 Likes
Hubuser

Jay,

We just installed the Verizon Hub this week and are happy with it and the feature set. Do you know if there are plans for two things that would really make this a "killer application":

1) Call screening that will work similar to "Privacy Manager" whereby a caller must give their name in response to a prompt or enter a pre-established code number to bypass the screening. Privacy Manager then forwards the given name (or puts through the call if the code is entered) to the subscriber who may elect to dump the call, answer or put it in VM; and

2) Providing for additonal headsets - call me lazy but we like to have them in every room, the garage, basement, kitchen, bathrooms and even utility room, even though they are wireless. We currently have a need for 5 additional headsets.

Why I believe number 1 above is a killer app is the rapidly increasing number of unwanted and sometimes illegal unsolicited commercial phone calls/messages. There is probably a dollar figure I would not agree to pay for such a feature but it is likely to be fairly high! The ability to block 12 numbers is not sufficient for two reasons, the sheer number of these callers and the fact that they spoof their caller IDs.

0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

Hubuser wrote:

Jay,

We just installed the Verizon Hub this week and are happy with it and the feature set. Do you know if there are plans for two things that would really make this a "killer application":

1) Call screening that will work similar to "Privacy Manager" whereby a caller must give their name in response to a prompt

2) Providing for additonal headsets -

#1 - I think this might do what you want it to do and you already have it for free!  Even if it isn't exactly what you want, at least the price is right.   :smileywink:   Incoming call block-how to
#2 - yes you can purchase additional handsets & charging bases.  See Packages/accessorites
0 Likes
sharpen04
The HUB can be plugged into a router or modem or set up wirelessly if your router transmits a wifi signal.  It doesn't come with a router and depends on an existing connection to the internet.  You can test it for 30 days and take it back if it's not compatible or you don't like it.  There is, however, a restocking fee of $35 if you return it, because it can't be resold as "new."
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1
It's better to be 'talking' (wirelessly or plugged in) to a router than a modem.  Most modems only have 1 ethernet connection out so if the hub is plugged into it, then you have nothing left for your PC.   WIFI routers the way to go.
Message Edited by MagicMan on 04-25-2009 10:08 PM
0 Likes
Restating question
Hubuser

Looks like my question was not clear enough. :mansurprised:

What Verizon offers to its landline customers is a service that allows the customer to screen calls. A caller must either input a code number give by the subscriber or else state a name. The subscriber phone rings and if the code is correct, the caller is connected. If a name was given, the caller is on music hold and the subscriber hears the name given and may elect to block the call, put it in voice mail or answer. With the increase in unwanted calls for car warranties, surveys, etc., such a service is invaluable. AT&T offers it also to its land line customers and calls theirs Privacy Manager.

Does Verizon plan  to offer this to Hub customers?

Message Edited by Hubuser on 04-27-2009 01:00 PM
0 Likes