The 'fastest' DORMANT Network
ScrewedByVZW

Ever since 4G became available (the reason for going to Verizon) I have had nothing but frustration. Sure the network is fast but for how long before the modem goes DORMANT or just disconnects.  Some times 5 times in 15min? 

Have to shut down VZAccess and unplug modem , re-plug, re-start VZAccess....all while you get logged out of what ever you were logged into I.E banking, business distribution websites etc.  So much for being productive!

I have spent countless hours on the phone with 'tech' support.  They even 'open a ticket'.  However, they also close them ...WITH NO RESOLUTION!!!!

I am now on my 5th modem...yes...five of them.   And i have more and different issues with each one.   Verizon does not care to resolve this.

I no longer call that "support" number.  Instead, every time this great 4g network takes a dump on me and wastes my time to reconnect and re-logg into what I was doing,  I WILL DEDUCT $1 FOR EACH OCCURRANCE FROM MY BILL. 

iF THEY DON'T LIKE THAT, THEN i WILL ADD UP ALL THE TIME i SPENT ON THE PHONE WITH THEM AND CHARGE THEM FOR 1) MY PHONE TIME AND 2) MY HVACR SERVICE RATE OF $80 PER HOUR. 

Bottom line, Verizon does not give a damn except for your money.  

If any of you upper management >Edited to comply with VZW ToS< at Verizon would like to discuss this, I am more than haapt to oblige.  However, If you need not >Edited to comply with VZW ToS<

You know how to find me....just open the tickets.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: The 'fastest' DORMANT Network
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

What device are you referring to here?

It sounds like you are using a VZW USB modem.  Providing the model number would be helpful for future users so that they know which one to avoid.  Also if you could share more info on your computer OS and location that might be helpful too.

Try as you like to withold money from your bill, VZW will only see it as late payment and charge you for it.  The best thing to do would be contact VZW directly via the 1-800 and cancel your service.  If you are polite and explain your issues they may be able to discount or cover your ETF due to the technical difficulties you have experienced.

0 Likes
ScrewedByVZW

John, the 5 USB modems comprised of every model VZW offers.   Laptop is HP Icore3 running Win7 Pro 32 bit.

They wanted me to use a mobile hotspot but I have security issues with that idea.

Or they want me to just put the thing into dedicated 3G only... so much for the great network. 

As for being polite, these people have lied to me, cheated me, misreresented themselves and have wasted many many hors of my time.  I am not very tolerant of such behavior.   Sorry, I was in the old Corps.  Semper FI

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I see, thanks for sharing.  5 modems with different models and no improvement is a pretty bad experience.  I cant see why a mobile hotspot would have any better results unless it was a 4G LTE device and your USB modems were 3G only.  VZW should have learned after the first few devices that the problem was not related to your side of the equation.

Problems that are persistant between multiple devices tend to mean that there is a interferance problem in the area or an isssue with the local towers.  Very rarely, in my experience, would this kind of a problem be related to the software or hardware installed on the computer.  We would have confirmed a computer problem by now just by reinstalling the software so many times as I'm sure you have had to do for the different USB modems.

Make the decision that best benefits you, your time and your money.  Let us know if you would like to spend some more time troubleshooting your VZW signal.  The users here have lots of helpful links to assist you with conducting your own site survey and recommending equiptment.

0 Likes
ssglasco

man i here you i cant keep a signal here huntsville,ar spent a lot of time trouble shooting with vzw tech with no good out come they sent me a new 4g usb modem i sent it back it was no help i go from 3g to 2g dial up was faster at times you know they dont have any problem getting my bill out every month they dont tell you all this while your signing thier contract i am sick of it i just will be glad to have internet that works like it should

0 Likes
ScrewedByVZW

It's a shame, but apparentlt VZW doesn't care what it does to get it's money...and what it does is corrupt.

0 Likes
NormChicago

I experienced the dormant problem with a Pantech UML290 working on a Mac Pro computer. While in Boulder, CO the device would connect but immediately go dormant and not accept any traffic. In frustration I decided to try to run the device under windows using the Parallels software that allows you to run windows on a Mac. The windows driver did as a first thing update the firmware on the Pantech device. I was unable to go beyond that, perhaps due to my unfamiliarity with windows. However, back on the Mac the device connected and worked beautifully. Using the speakeasy.net speed test I got incredible numbers of 25 mbs download speed and 10 mbs upload speed at 7:20 AM Monday morning in Boulder, CO. This compares to 2 mbs download and 0.52 mbs upload using Sprint MiFi 2200 device, and 0.83 download an 0.42 upload using the crappy hotel wi fi at the St. Julian hotel in Boulder.

0 Likes
rasnell

Exact same issues for me with jetpack. I have given verizon 13 opportunities to resolve, including 5 units, 4 sim cards. unreal.

0 Likes
wifidude

I have the same issue with going DORMANT then dropped. I called tech support with no answer to the following question:

" It seems that verizon puts a time limit on inactivity. What is the amount of time before the connection is dropped?" HE DIDN'T KNOW! I'm sure it has nothing to do with the devise, but verizon's policy. It's not even that I hope it can be changed, though it would be nice, but rather I just want to know HOW LONG so that I can surf around if needed to keep the connection. HELP! Come on tech guys, answer a simple question, "How long before dormancy begins, and from that point how long  before the drop in connection?"

0 Likes
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

wifidude,

It's not just "how long".  The issue is that for many of the hotspots and for many users, it would go dormant even while data transfer is going on.  Sometimes it would go "dormant" within seconds.  Other times, long time lapses.  It is clearly not because of inactivity.  The root cause MAY be related to firmware functions designed to go dormant after periods of inactivity, but in any case the issue is a defect, and the device is not operating as designed, as marketed or as is reasonable.  I was only able to resolve my issues be getting rid of the hotspot.  I switched to a new iPad and the dormancy issues are now gone. 

0 Likes