Re: Two questions, trying to pick up free wireless....
andreah1

Actually my antenna isn't near the window, go figure, I tried it near the window and got nothing, we have alot of trees around the house, the antenna is far from the window but without it, the um150 won't pick up much.  If I do decide to go with the mifi, I will def. try it out first.  Wondering if it would work anyhow, because it would have to be tethered to my desktop I think...

0 Likes
Not applicable

I bought a Verizon USB760 for travel with my laptop.  We spend a lot of time at the beach and at the in-law's house, so I opted to get the $60 data plan rather than drive around looking for a hotspot.  The USB760 works very well.  I have Charter cable at home, so I decided to buy a CradlePoint MBR1000 router that allows me to use the USB760 as an automatic back-up for when Charter goes down, which is quite often.  This setup works great also.  Soon after I bought the MBR1000, the supplier had a special deal, so I was able to get him to send me a free CradlePoint CTR350 portable router.  So, I now leave the MBR1000 at home and use the CTR350 in the car, at the beach, and at the in-law's house.  The CTR350 is inexpensive and may be what you are looking for.  I got mine here:

http://moremobileinternet.com/

PS:  I bought a small indoor antenna that plugs into the USB760.  I can even use it in the car with no loss of signal.

0 Likes
andreah1

Thanks, I was actually just looking at that one!!!!  May give it a whirl!

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

I picked up one of the Netgear routers off eBay last night. We will see how it goes. 

0 Likes