Type of USB card / connection to VPN
dmpnashville

I am thinking about signing up for Broadband wireless internet.  I only have a desktop computer right now, but I have to get the internet via DSL from my home phone company.  I have no need for a landline so I paying more than I need to for phone line and DSL.  I thought if I switched to mobile broadband wireless, I could use the USB card in my desktop and get the internet and it would ultimately cost less and I could disconnect my home landline service.

The sales people I have talked to have not been able to answer my question about connectiing to a VPN.  Will I still be able to connect to a VPN (private server) if I make the switch to wireless internet?  Right now it is set up as a shortcut on my desktop which I click to connect and it obviously goes over the DSL internet connection to get me into this private server.  I transfer files from there and then disconnect.  It usually takes less than 3 minutes.  I absolutely need to have this functionality for my work and I am not sure if I will have this capability via mobile broadband...

The second question is which USB card should I get?  There are several choices and I don't want to pick one that won't work.

Any help on these issues will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Donna in Nashville

0 Likes
Re: Type of USB card / connection to VPN
Cobalt
Contributor - Level 1

Although mobile broadband service may work on your desktop, Verizon Wireless only supports use on a laptop.  If you do get the service and it doesn't work, you may wish to return the data card within the 30 day Worry Free Guarantee.

As far as the VPN, can you describe what that is, because I'm unfamiliar with the acronym.

0 Likes
dmpnashville
VPN is a virtual private network, basically a server set up by my company.  I guess it has an IP Address and you connect to it just to retrieve files and/or send files to it.  Then you disconnect.  You need the internet to facilitate the connection.
0 Likes
jpierce1979

Yes, you can use your VPN. You will need some of the specifics from your company to set it up, but on your VZ acess manager, you simply click on the Start VPN (the first time you use it, it will walk you through the setup of VPN) and then you will connect creating a virtual tunnel to the internet to keep you on a secure line.

I use my broadband on two laptops and a desktop. It works fine on my desktop. I hope that helps.

0 Likes
dmpnashville

THANK YOU so much!!  I am so excited to hear that.  Did you know anything about Verizon Wireless not supporting use of mobile broadband on a desktop?  The salesperson I talked to didn't say anything when I told her I wanted to use it on my desktop at home...

Obviously it is wonderful if you have a laptop and you travel all over the place your work, but I sit at home and work.  I am just trying to save a few bucks by getting rid of my home phone line - it seems like I'm paying for 2 services but I only need one of them.

0 Likes