UML295 and USB 3.0
dogbolter

I've spent to days trying to get  an aircard working with my laptop. It just won't recognise it. Doing a google search, I saw on the Apple forums that they have the same problem, stating the UML295 does not work with USB 3.0 ports, which or course I have. Does anyone know of a way round this problem?

0 Likes
Re: UML295 and USB 3.0
PitViper

We have a few of these, and you are correct, it does not work with the USB 3.0 ports on the newest Macs.  There is a way around it however.  By using a USB 2.0 hub, or even using one of the USB ports on an Apple Keyboard, the device will work.  It's a rather clumsy fix for something that just should work, and also means you have to carry one more item around, but it is a workable solution until Pantech/Verizon/Apple get a fix for this issue.

0 Likes
dogbolter

This is actually an Asus Ultrabook I am using and it only has two USB 3.0 ports. I’m returning the product as its useless to me. I’m surprised that a fairly new product doesn’t support the USB 3.0 standard that has been out for years now.

>>Personal information and e-mail headers removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with previous versions.  When USB 3.0 devices or ports do not work then the drivers on the computer need to be updated.  A USB 2.0 device should work just fine on a USB 3.0 port.  Likewise a USB 3.0 device should work on a USB 2.0 port, just not to its full potential.

For example, I am aware of an issue with Win7 laptops when certain HP Printer models are USB connected a BSOD occurs.  The solution to the problem was a driver update from the motherboard (in this case Intel) manfacturer.  If you can look up what kind of USB ports you have on your computer and who created the drivers for them then I'm sure you can find a patch to correct the problem.

0 Likes
dogbolter

I asked Verizon tech support and they confirmed that the UML295 does not support USB 3.0 and that there are no plans for it to do so. ASUS also confirmed the same, hence do not supply any workarounds.

Private information removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes