USB720 nothing but trouble
metalheledagen
Ever since I got the USB720 adapter for use with wireless broadband (about 2 years ago), it has given me nothing but trouble.  For whatever reason, it keeps powering off.  This problem has gotten worse in the past month or so.  I tried changing the power management options in Windows, I tried plugging the device directly into the computer (without the Y-shaped adapter), nothing seems to help the problem.  I'm really annoyed that I have to keep unplugging the device and then plugging it back in every time I want to use the internet.  Please help!
0 Likes
Re: USB720 nothing but trouble
AckAck

This must be a universal problem as I've had my USB720 for about 2 yrs as well, and then started having the most horrendous experience with my USB720 for the past month - nothing but constant disconnects and power off, then having to unplug, go to Task Manager, end process, plug in, connect, log back onto internet, etc.    It starts getting worse after 6:00 pm and then even worse after 11:00 pm (coincidentally after the tech support dept is closed for the evening).  I've spent hours on the phone during the day with tech support and all they've had me do is uninstall and reinstall and that really changes nothing.   There are no additional suggestions because every time I call, I'm usually so frustrated at the end of the long time spent on the phone with them, and they don't seem to know what the problem is.  Since I thought my device was faulty, I asked about replacing it, since I'm not getting the service I'm paying for, but since it's been 2 yrs (ironically), I would have to pay for a new one.

I've disconnected 3 times just while trying to register for this forum!

If you find any solutions to your problem, please let me know too!  Sorry about your problem.  I thought I was the only one.

0 Likes
wandathomas
Now there's 3 of us.  Exact same symptoms.  If I power down the PC overnight, it seems to do better longer, but other than that, I've tried everything including two premise visits from an engineer.  The day he comes out it is working great and continues for about another month or two, then the downhill slide again.  Doesn't even make sense from a troubleshooting logic standpoint.
0 Likes
rockoone
Enthusiast - Level 3

make it 4, i posted a new detailed message about it today. The one thing ive noticed on mine is the modem goes dormant before it disconnects, whether im working or not. And much like the previous comments it will often disconnect right in the middle of a situation like this. Click open the vz application window and watch the lower left corner of the box, it shows the status. Mine repeated goes into dormant even if im connected to steaming sites or even game sites. I also have vista, have adjusted power settings to maximum and, after the modem disconnects i unplug it for a few seconds, reconnect it and them my laptop can again find it and power up.

0 Likes
Macriver
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have mac osX . I have had only a few problems of hanging while trying to download  but not much .Who knows what the cause might be. Then again this is just a first generation divice IMHO. My  2 year plan is up 8/9 and I guess I'm going to have to go in and sign up for the new 5-gig limit plan. I wonder  can I keep the USB-720 or will I have to fork out some more money for USB-UM175 or USB-760. I really don't feel like paying out more money for the same bells & whistles. I could see some new technology that's worth paying for when G4 comes out.
0 Likes
Beanie
Me too!
0 Likes
Beanie

I actually did not have this problem at first and it was a pretty fast connection.  Now for quite a while, I have had very, very similiar problems as the others in this post; the modem disconnects and I have to reconnect and then the system says that "another user is using this connection" and I am the only "user".  I have to go to the Task Manager to end the process of VZ Access Manager and then reconnect.  And, while I have not talked to tech support, I have uninstalled VZ Access and reinstallled, I have downloaded the Firmware for the device.  You have got to provide an answer as to what else I have to do.  I am paying a lot of money for the connection and believe it is "your problem" to "help me" and not the other way around.  I have acted in good faith purchasing Verizon products and continually ordering items for myself and my family.

I have been with Verizon for a very long time and have always been pleasantlly surprised by the Customer Service reps when I do have to call for assistance so, please do not dissapoint me this time.!

0 Likes
WendyM
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beanie,

Sorry you are experiencing problems with your service. The proper Verizon Wireless point-of-contact has been made aware of your situation and this thread and will be contacting you shortly. Thanks for your patience,

-Wendy

0 Likes
TexTom

I had the USB720 for about 18 months and it started doing the same thing to me - shutting off frequently - even while I was using it. Then it got REALLY slow.. I noticed that my actual net speed into my computers was 1/10th the speed shown by Verizon on VZ Access Manager under Options>Statistics. The statistical speed would gyrate wildly between 350 MBPS and Zero while my net transfer speed through the USB720 into my computer was in the range of 20-25 MBPS.

A VZW tech told me over the phone that my USB 720 was likely getting old and tired and needed to be replaced. I took the thing to my local VZW store and they tried it on several different computers with the same results as I was getting. Since we were unable to get it any better I bought a MiFi 2200.

The 2200 is a cool gadget but unfortunately the download speed works exactly the same as my "old and tired" USB 720.That is the statistical performance is in the 350 MBPS range while the actual transfer speed into my computer is in the 20-25 MBPS range. Realistically this is no better than a poor dialup connection.

Something is obviously wrong since this same thing happens on both of my computers as well as the computer at the VZW store.My net download speed used to be in the 100 to 125 MBPS range. Not great considering the monthly cost, but liveable.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1
Has anyone checked to see what version of VZAM they are running on their computer to see if they have the latest version that is compatible with the operating system?  Also, I've noticed when using USB Modems in the past that if I disconnect the device improperly, remove from the computer incorrectly, or didn't position my computer properly (in the bed on a pillow and not a hard surface), there are certain quirks the devices would inherit.  The great thing is that you have a one year warranty, but it sounds like the reporters here have past that manufacturer warranty period.
0 Likes