USB760 + VPN not working.
ejuettner

Hey all,

I am having a relatively bizarre issue.  Several associates where I work use USB760s and the Verizon Wireless Access Manager to connect to the internet, and then to VPN into the office.  As of 2-3 days ago, they will often get error 678 when attempting to establish the VPN connection.  I've tested the VPN connection myself pretty thoroughly.  I can connect with my Mac and several laptops using the wireless network at my house, or a place down the street that has free wireless.  As soon as I go to connect through the USB760, however, I'll run into the 678 error message.  The message in its entirety is:

VPN Failed - The remote computer did not respond.  For further assistance, click More Info or search Help and Support Center for this error number.  Error 678.

Now again, I can connect through the VPN just fine every time when not using the Verizon wireless card.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Erik

0 Likes
Re: USB760 + VPN not working.
ejuettner

No ideas?  

0 Likes
tranquilnet

I am having the same issue and i am going round and round with verizon support to resolve the issue.  The problem is that Verizon keeps pointing the finger at the "VPN client" and will not admit that this is an issue with their new 4G connection and/or 4G USB Broadband devices or configurations. 

Has anyone else had any luck connecting to thier VPN via a third party application or Microsoft VPN connections while connected to the verizon 4G network?

0 Likes
ejuettner

Well, at least I know I'm not going insane now.  I've also been working with Verizon techs and I'll let you know if I find out anything.  There appears to be a new access manager version out right now, which I was pretty sure I had updated previously.  Maybe they're silently addressing it.

0 Likes
ejuettner

There is also a firmware update.

0 Likes
ejuettner

Nope.  Appears to have the same issue.

0 Likes
steveschern

Hi - Same issue here.  Using Windows 7 with a USB760... can access the internet but not our VPN.

The VPN works fine when not using the DSL card.

IT consultant indicated the packets are being received by the network, but are not getting back to the laptop.  Sounds like Verizon needs to fix something on their end... hopefully soon!

0 Likes
steveschern

Hi - As mentioned above, this is still not working even with the most recent updates to VZAccess Manager and the USB760 firmware.

Does anyone know if Verizon is still working on this issue?

Thank you and Happy ChrismaHanuKwanzakah!

0 Likes
ejuettner

Apparently a fix was rolled out to address the issue, but still running into the same problem.  I believe they are still working on it.

0 Likes
steveschern

Hi - I spoke to a Verizon rep last week who said access via VPN should be considered a bonus since Verizon will only guarantee internet access via the broadband card.

I had read some other threads that mention a problem with the Windows 7 VPN client... our IT folks are investigating a different VPN client to see if that is the case.

I really hope someone solves the problem soon!

Thanks!

0 Likes