Unlimited 3G is randomly slowing to a crawl :(
HellsWrath

I have Unlimited 3G service. My signal is great at -75 dBm, EV-RevA. Everything looks great, but my speeds just seriously crap out at random times. I'm trying to figure out how less than 6 months ago my internet was blazing fast for about 4 years, then all of a sudden here recently it goes from fast to slow to barely having a pulse.

Would anyone know of any tips or tricks to help speed up my connection and make it more stable and reliable? I would appreciate any insight or help regarding this issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited 3G is randomly slowing to a crawl :(
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

With a 3G device you are subject to the Data Optimization policy. It sounds like that is what is happening.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

With a 3G device you are subject to the Data Optimization policy. It sounds like that is what is happening.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
HellsWrath

Well, that sucks. It's like paying for 200 channels of TV and only getting 3 channels. Sure can't wait until cable or dsl becomes available. Will be dropping this crappy service as quick as possible. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also upgrade to a 4G LTE device and not have your data throttled.

0 Likes
mcumbee

Same thing here...I am being throttled and I am betting so are you.....They are trying to squeeze unlimited users into metered service. Here is my scenario...speeds as low as .05mbs......throttled...that is about dial-up speed and is unusable. They say I use to much and am affecting other users....but...if I pay for metered service which would be 3G(there is no 4G here) on the same tower...with a new plan ..it is somehow OK. Reality is that would make no technical change and that my usage would be the same and the same tower as this is a modem and not a phone...this makes the first statement that I am affecting others a lie. Basically they want the money and want to end the plans.

0 Likes
mcumbee

and he will lose his unlimited service...ALL 4G plans are metered....ripoff

0 Likes
mcumbee

PLEASE....complain...the more of us that consistently call-in ...they need to be hassled about this...they are stealing.

0 Likes
HellsWrath

Well I wouldn't mind, but I'm not sitting here and calculating how much bandwidth I can use per month, per week, per day, per hour, per minute and then have to worry about if I've went over. And I'm sure Verizon licks their greedy chops at the first sign of an overage, because I'm sure it gets super pricey.

But, Mcumbee is right, how can you say 3G Unlimited is not ok to use "X" amount of bandwidth, but if you get 3G limited or 4G limited, it's ok to use any amount of bandwidth you wish?

I would love an explanation on how this makes any kind of ridiculous sense. Maybe I should contact my congressman and see about this nonsense.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

HellsWrath wrote:

Well I wouldn't mind, but I'm not sitting here and calculating how much bandwidth I can use per month, per week, per day, per hour, per minute and then have to worry about if I've went over. And I'm sure Verizon licks their greedy chops at the first sign of an overage, because I'm sure it gets super pricey.

But, Mcumbee is right, how can you say 3G Unlimited is not ok to use "X" amount of bandwidth, but if you get 3G limited or 4G limited, it's ok to use any amount of bandwidth you wish?

I would love an explanation on how this makes any kind of ridiculous sense. Maybe I should contact my congressman and see about this nonsense.

Those who are on limited plans are paying for the network upgrades to support their speeds.  It costs money to maintain bandwidth and to increase bandwidth.  For people to truly understand the actual costs they'd have to start making that network over what they are used to with Home Networks.

0 Likes
HellsWrath

Wait, so let me get this straight $60/month for LIMITED is helping pay for upgrades/service and my $60/month UNLIMITED is just paying for service? Both of which would be 3G which uses the same Network? What?

0 Likes