Re: Unlimited Plan throttled and punishment for overage
lkentn

I put this response in the wrong place the first time:

We have been wireless phone customers for many years and have been very satisfied. Verizon service has fit very nicely into our full-time RVing lifestyle. We even have recommended Verizon service to many of our RVing friends over the years. A few years ago, we began using the Broadband Wireless service to put our computer on the internet. That service worked extremely well for us. A month or so ago, we switched to the new MiFi device while traveling in California and when signing up, we were informed that we still had unlimited data access which had been grandfathered in because we have been long term loyal customers. The new MiFi device seemed like a godsend to us since we have acquired a number of devices which can make use of WiFi hotspots. Our devices include a laptop computer, an ITouch, two Kindles, a Samsung Blueray player  and two new Samsung LED TVs all of these devices make our motorhome a true home for us. We would be able to connect up to five devices at a time to the internet; how cool is that!

The first month we had the MiFi device, we downloaded firmware upgrades for all of our devices that required them, updated maps for our Garmin GPS, and streamed Pandora and Netflix on our new TVs. In short order, we began to notice the speed of our "Broadband" wireless service decline drastically. I called Verizon Tech Service and Customer Service to see what was going on and was referred to Verizon's Fraud Department for an explanation of what had happened to me. After speaking to these people, I was told that I had exceeded the "5 Gig" limit that was allowable to me and my speed had been throttled down for at least a month into the future. I just checked the "speed" I have now and it is .21 mbps download and .19 mbps upload speed and I don't have to tell you that is slow. I am MAD to be punished in this fashion by a company I have been so loyal to for so long. I watch Verizon commercials about the new 4G service where they are saying you can download a song in seconds and stream Netflix etc. all of the things I would love to do but am not allowed to do by Verizon. I know I have the 3G network now but do you think I am looking forward to the 4G network when I can download my 5 Gig allotment of data in less than a couple of hours. What is your plan Verizon? Don't you realize that if you do this right every home in america could have a Verizon MiFi device sitting there fullfilling all of the data needs for all of the devices in each home?

I just wish unlimited data assigned to my account really meant unlimited data!!

0 Likes
lkentn

I felt like a class action suit may be in the future!!

0 Likes
lkentn

I posted my original Verizon Community post on the RV.net Open Roads Forum complaining about my Verizon Broadband account being throttled down as punishment for going over the 5 Gig limit during my very first month of having my new MiFi. The Open Roads Forum is the largest RV forum on the internet; Verizon is the preferred carrier of almost all RVers out there because of its superior network (I don't care what AT&T says). If you wish to see what this group of people is saying about this throttling down and the 5 Gig limit on "unlimited" data accounts check it out at: http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24680014/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm ; I have the same user name on the Open Roads Forum as I do on this one.

0 Likes
lkentn

I checked the Open Roads RVers forum this morning and someone was suggesting that a company Clear 4G was offering a truly unlimited data plan with MiFi. The link that was given was: http://www.clear.com/ but when I checked their coverage map, it definitely did not measure up to Verizon's Broadband Wireless' network. Remember, we do live in our motorhome and travel the country extensively. 

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

lkentn wrote:

I checked the Open Roads RVers forum this morning and someone was suggesting that a company Clear 4G was offering a truly unlimited data plan with MiFi. The link that was given was: http://www.clear.com/ but when I checked their coverage map, it definitely did not measure up to Verizon's Broadband Wireless' network. Remember, we do live in our motorhome and travel the country extensively. 

Also check Virgin Mobile. Their MiFi plan is $40/month unlimited with no contract. They use the Sprint network.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I just checked their coverage map. It's pretty useless unless you happen to live in a covered area and don't travel.
0 Likes
EasyMoney47

They do have Email reminders that you set up yourself in you account that will let you know at different times as to your amount of usage

0 Likes
tkgavette

I live in rural South Dakota the 3g coverage from Verizon was awesome, at first.  Then after the first month the throttled me.  I picked their largest plan and paid the overage fees.  If I'm willing to pay why punish me.  I want a fast rural internet and I'm willing to pay for it.

0 Likes
ayounger

finally!! someone doing something worhwhile.......make it count!!   I am calling!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Good luck with Clearwire.  They throttle you.  Sure they don't have a cap, but they will throttle you based on what you are using the bandwidth for.  I used to have them for  2 years, and I refuse to go back.  Also Sprint charges an extra $10 for their 4G devices per month for unlimited.  If you don't have 4G in your area well you have a 5GB cap.

0 Likes