Use old mifi as router
tstape

I have an old 3g mifi device, not hooked up to the internet.  Can I use it as a router to connect devices around the house?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use old mifi as router
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

No.

Just turn it on and connect your devices.  The MiFi will create a local wireless network that will allow the devices to communicate and share files.  If you hit a snag somewhere it will be with the security of your files and folders on the computers and not the MiFi.  Share your folders or move the files to a shared area and you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I have never tried this on an inactive MiFi but it should work.  It might require you to have a SIM card installed even if the SIM is not good. 

Just power it up and connect your devices to it.  Lettuce know if it works or not.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there tstape,

I would like to let you know that any inactive Mifi devices will NOT be able to used as routers for your home wifi connection. It is very possible that it will broadcast a signal that your devices can connect to, however, since it is not connecting to the internet itself, no connection will be shared with the other devices. I hope this helps to clarify.

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon is wrong you can use it, You wont be able to Go out to the Internet but you can use it locally like connecting A wireless Printer, File sharing between computers. 

I have an old Mifi2200 that I do this with.

0 Likes
kyflux

Hello, could you help me on how you set up/used your old mifi as a router for file sharing and printing?  Is there anything that I need to configure via "192.168.1.1" page?

Thanks!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

No.

Just turn it on and connect your devices.  The MiFi will create a local wireless network that will allow the devices to communicate and share files.  If you hit a snag somewhere it will be with the security of your files and folders on the computers and not the MiFi.  Share your folders or move the files to a shared area and you should be good to go.

0 Likes