Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Using Blackberry or Dedicated Mobile Broadband - Which is Better?
dmw4814

I am starting a new job next week where I will be traveling quite a bit. I will carry my laptop with me and I want to be able to connect to the Internet wherever I go. I have a BlackBerry 8330 and was wondering if I would get better performance (i.e. better download/upload speeds) by tethering my smartphone as a modem or would I be better off buying a USB or PC Express Card device dedicated solely to mobile broadband use? Of course, I don't want to pay any more for equipment or usage charges, but speed/performance is more important to me!

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Likes
Re: Using Blackberry or Dedicated Mobile Broadband - Which is Better?
nmchileman

Either way you go you're going to have to pay something additional. For the dedicated USB modem you'll be paying $59.99 for 5GB of use or $39.99 for 250MB of use.

For using your phone as a modem it depends what Blackberry plan you currently have. If you're on a Nationwide Email plan or have the $44.99 plan you'll be paying an additional $15 for tethering. If you're only paying $29.99 for your Blackberry plan then it will be an additional $30 to use the tethering.

Speed wise; most likely a new USB modem is going to be a bit quicker. Your Curve 8330 is Rev.0 on the EVDO network. Speeds are 400-800Kbps down and 50-100Kbps up. So pretty comparable to a slower DSL link.

However, if you were to get a newer USB modem it's going to be Rev. A capable which provides better speeds. 600-1,400Kbps down and 500-800Kbps.

If you were to get a dedicated USB modem and you buy one from VZW at a discount you would be required to sign either a 1 or 2 year contract. If you were to add the tethering feature to your phone you can add/remove it at any time.

So there are your pros/cons. It's up to you how much you're willing to pay, what speeds you're okay with and if you want a contract or not.

0 Likes