Using two MIFI2200 units, Cradlepoint router
pennysgeek

I know I should simply call VZ about this, but thought I would browse this forum for the answer.  My wife and I have the VZ Mifi 2200 and between us, 5GB's/month  just doesn't do it.  I am thinking about purchasing another Mifi 2200 and my question is, can we run both on the same bill? 

Does anyone else here use 2 Mifi units?  And if so, what has been your experience? Do you listen to any audio streams or radio online?  I'd love to watch more online video but with the bandwidth constraints, it's almost impossible.

We are also on HughesNet which has a 200MB Fair Access Policy for 24 hrs.  Once you exceed their Fair Access Policy, your bandwidth is throttled down to below dialup speeds for another 24 hrs.  Their service is the worst we've ever experienced.  We've tried AT&T but they are no better and speeds are not much better than dialup.  With VZ, the coverage is better as is the speed.  The 5GB/month cap is ridiculous to say the least but, it is what it is.  In our case, living in a rural setting where dsl or cable is not available, these are our only choices.  For high speed internet, we have to use a combination of HN and VZ.  If a second Mifi2200 unit can give us an extra 5GB/month, as along as we stay under that cap, it would be worth $120 or so a month and we'd drop HN like a bad habit.

Another question.  I've read a lot of users recommend the cradlepoint MBR cellular router for use with the MIFI.  I'm interested but how would you keep the MIFI unit on when it has to be charged or plugged into the wall to say powered?  Does it charge while plugged into the router via USB?  Otherwise, it would seem repetitive to have to unplug the unit from the router to charge again.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Using two MIFI2200 units, Cradlepoint router
Not applicable

Why not get another Verizon 5 GB account with a USB760 and a CradlePoint router.  You can plug the USB760 into your CradlePoint router and I assume there is also a way to connect the MIFI, but I'm not certain about that.  Anyway, the CradlePoint router can handle multiple internet sources and you can program it to use one or the other or both sources at the same time.  I am using a CradlePoint MBR1000 with Charter cable as my primary ISP and Verizon wireless as backup.  When I travel, I either take the CradlePoint with me (I bought a car power adapter) or I remove the USB760 and plug it directly into my laptop.

0 Likes
pennysgeek

If you plug both the usb760 and the mifi unit into the mbr 1000 router, and you have two 5gb accounts through both units, how does it differentiate the two accoutns if it's outputting one signal?  I don't understand.  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an extra 5gb's to use if you only have the one signal coming from the router?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you have two Verizon accounts, you will have a total of 10 GB capacity available per month.  If you have both Verizon sources plugged into a CradlePoint router, the router can dole out your available capacity to as many computers as you have connected to the router.  I assume you and your wife would have two laptops connected wirelessly, so you will be sharing the 10 GB between the two of you.  You could program the router to use one wireless account as primary and the other as backup or you could program it to use both at the same time.  If it uses both at the same time, you will get faster internet, but you'll use up your 10 GB faster.  You could use one as primary for half the month, then use the other as primary for the second half month, to keep from exceeding either of your 5 GB limits.

0 Likes
Craig5

Pennysgeek et al,

Your second question didn't get answered and I'd like to know as well. Can I plug the mifi unit into a USB port (not connected to a computer) and have it charge WHILE I still use the internet thru that router?

Additionally,  I have been hunting for two hours now but I'd like to know the relative effective range for this MiFi unit.  I have a newly constructed, normal open plan house (all wood).  I want to locate the unit in the middle of the house and need 60 feet range.  I'm trying to replace my normal ISP+netgear 'g' router with this little beauty...

Many thanks for any input you've got....  (speedtest.net from 5 and 50 feet away would be an ideal comparison if you'd could pull it off ) :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Not applicable

What about your printer?  Can you plug a printer into a MIFI?  I think you would be better off with a USB760 and CradlePoint router.

0 Likes
pennysgeek

sounds rather complicated to me.  What is the learning curve on programming the cradlepoint router?  I assume there is both a user interface from the software and perhaps a web interface as well in which to program it with? 

0 Likes
pennysgeek

Not entirely sure about this one.  I've read where it does but there seems to be some debate about this.  I'd love to know because it makes no sense to buy and expensive cradlepoint router to plug it into only to have to unplug it and plug it into the wall for it to charge. As far as the MIFI's range, it doesn't extend very far.  50 feet is about average.  In fact, I have a desktop not 20 feet away and it does not see it.  Sometimes I have to turn the unit around for it to be recognized or orient it a different way to pick up the signal. I think it's really designed to be a hotspot for the immediate area and not a houselhold router.  I can barely pick up the signal upstairs but you almost have to be directly under it to receive it.

0 Likes
pennysgeek

No. The Mifi only has one mini usb port to be used for either charging it or plugging it into the mini usb port on your laptop/desktop computer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's not complicated at all.  There is no learning curve.  You plug the router into your computer and log onto the router and check a couple of boxes.  Then you unplug your computer and plug in your Verizon devices and your printer and off you go.  After everthing boots up, you log on wirelessly with your laptops.  Your question about how to charge the MIFI seems like the only issue and I don't know the answer.  An other advantage of using a router is you don't use the VZAccess software and everything seems to be more robust.

You can go to this website and view some videos about the CradlePoint routers.  http://moremobileinternet.com/

0 Likes