VPN disconnecting Broadband - HELP!
adevan

I have a Dell Latitude XT with an embedded Dell Wireless 5720 modem.  When I am connected to the internet through my wireless router at home, I can establish a VPN and have no problems connecting to my company network and stay connected.  However, when I connect to the internet via the broadband wireless modem, establish a VPN connection to my company, the VPN and the broadband will disconnect after about two minutes.  The broadband will not disconnet if I am just on the internet but as soon as I establish the VPN, it disconnects.  I am using the Windows XP native VPN client to establish the VPN.  Any ideas what is going on?

0 Likes
Re: VPN disconnecting Broadband - HELP!
Not applicable

I don't know anything about VPN, but if you go to the top right side of this page (under the red bar) and do a search on "VPN," you will find several threads on this topic.

0 Likes
whoru

Just worked through this problem on 25 Dell laptops running Windows XP SP3. Very frustrating to say the least!

We are using Novatel USB760 modems to connect, and each time the VPN would disconnect in under two minutes. I tried the air cards on a desktop running Vista Premium, and also an Apple laptop running OS 10.6. Both computers connected to the VPN without a hitch and remained connected for several hours.

So, I started exploring different scenarios. Here's the solution that worked for me:

If you are running VZ Access Manager version 7.2.x.x, unistall.

Delete the VPN that you have in your networks.

Then install a version of VZ Access Mangager in the 6.x.x range (I'm using 6.9.8).

Next, go to Tools and select preferences. On the WWAN tab, click "Set Options" then click the VPN tab.

Configure a Microsoft VPN, and Add Profile.

When done, click OK.

Then click on Updates tab, and click the updates to take place on a Manual schedule.

0 Likes
adevan

Do you know where I can download 6.9.x  The Verizon site anly allows me download 7.X for my Dell laptop.

0 Likes