damien_zoo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is the setup before I begin:

Laptop:

Macbook Pro 15 inch i7 Quad Core - 8Gb RAM - 500GB HD - OS X Lion 10.7.2

Verizon Hardware:

Pantech UML 290

Verizon Software:

Verizon Access Manager 7.3.6 (re-installed 12/30/11)

Let me first start off by saying this isn't a RANT, I'm actually very surprised in how great this card is holding up and when it works it is blazing fast.  BUT and there is always a BUT the Verizon Access Manager Software for Mac is horrible.  If you don't say up with the updates you can definitely expect problems, but I stay up to date.

My issues seem to be that since OS X Lion is a 64BIT operating system by default, and Verizon is trying to pass their VZ Access Manager off as a 64BIT client when in fact it has the operating system scale it back down to 32BIT.  I thought for the longest that it was something on my side when in fact it is not.  The VZAM client that verizon provides simply doesn't run in 64BIT mode but the website says it supports it and is compatible with the 64BIT OS.

I just find it a little misleading.  Wanted to know if anyone had any information when they are going to make the VZAM client actually true 64BIT.

0 Likes
Re: VZ Access Manager is not 64-BIT for UML290 on Mac Book Pro - OS X Lion 10.7.2
damien_zoo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone have any sort of input on why it will not run in 64BIT mode?

0 Likes
Re: VZ Access Manager is not 64-BIT for UML290 on Mac Book Pro - OS X Lion 10.7.2
demongeek

A better question is why you think it OUGHT to run in 64-bit mode.

64-bit programs' advantage is access to larger blocks of memory than 32-bit programs.  This is important in programs such as Photoshop or Final Cut Pro that routinely have to move large bits of memory around, but for most programs it is completely unnecessary.  VZ Access Manager will not run better and likely not any faster in 64-bit mode as compared to 32-bit mode.

0 Likes