VZAccess Manager Installation Hangs "Checking for previous versions of VZ Access Manager"
dgonedge
Melissa,

Note, this card has been working fine along with VZ Access Manager for well over a year (and 1 year with other cards) on this PC.  Today, I went to run the card in Los Angeles and it wanted to update.  I thought it wanted to update the area maps as is its usually pattern.  From the PC Card, it proceeded to download the latest version of VZ Access Manager.

Once downloaded I moved on to install the software when the installation hung during the uninstall segment of the process.  I proceeded to manually uninstall the Pantech PC Card Software and the PC5750 Firmware Updates and then REBOOTED. 

When I went to run the VZ Access Manager from the program manager it was missing the file named ?????.??? (sorry, did not note program (I think it ended in .ink).  This told me that is was (probably) successful in uninstalling the previous version.

I went to the VZSupport site and downloaded VZAM_7.2.1_2420b_Pantech_RevA

Problem: Every time I run the installation program (VZAM_7.2.1_2420b_Pantech_RevAit installs the Pantech PC Card Software and Drivers, and then it hangs on the following message, "Checking for previous versions of VZ Access Manager."

I believe that I would be successful in installing if I could disable that part of the sequence that looks for previous versions.

Anyway, NEED HELP AND SUGGESTIONS.  This is a vital tool to my daily business, including tomorrow.

PC Card: PC5750
Microsoft Windows XP
Tablet PC Edition 2005
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Processor 1.50GHz
.99 GB of RAM
0 Likes
Re: VZAccess Manager Installation Hangs
dgonedge

VZ Support, suggested next step is to reinstall VZaccess Manager from original installation CD.

0 Likes
Re: VZAccess Manager Installation Hangs
mrbrock72

I have had the exact same problem with several computers at work. When installing VZ access manager 7 it will hang on "Checking for previous versions of VZ access manager" and will never get past that point. The computers have never had any versions of vz access manager before. I tried uninstalling everything I could find that might be causing the conflict to no avail. I called verizon tech support and they could not help get version 7 installed. They did send me a disc for version 6 which installed fine.

I think this is the same version of the disc they sent me.

http://www.vzam.net/download/download.aspx?productid=124

Good luck!

0 Likes
"Checking for previous versions of VZ Access Manager&qu
gvetterrt

Had same issue.  Uninstalled old version (if no old version skip to next step)

Start task manager.  Under services, stop/disable the VZaccessmangeruninstaller process.

Continue with installtion.

0 Likes
Re: "Checking for previous versions of VZ Access Manager&qu
hmiller

^ worked perfectly for me!

Thanks!!

0 Likes
BillSteel

Responding to gvettert (February post):That did not work for me. In the task manager under Processes, KEEP VZAccess Manager.exe *32. GET RID of the install shield one pertaining to VZ. When I got rid of the latter, the VZAccess Manager continued with installation. This was after several attempts, including chasing down the services tab in task manager which showed NO VZ process! GEEZ!

I have a system running Windows 7.0 and am now using my VZ MIFI. I cannot tell the difference in the speed between this MIFI and the cable modem. I'm testing this for a few days before I give up Cable. So far thumbs up!

0 Likes
Luv2BeLDS97

Thanks for posting this!!

I had several processes for the install sheild and as soon as I closed the one pertaining to VZ the install continued on its own!! awesome!!

0 Likes
sawatt

Thanks for this info...this worked for me.  Too bad when I called Verizon, they told me that there was a problem with the machine!!  Always remember that Google is your friend :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
jws07016

This was the key!  My wife has a 4G air card modem and was having the same problem.  Verizon techs and her companies tech support couldn't fix it.  I went into the processes and disabled the vzaccess manager process  (was the uninstall process) and disabled it.  Her laptop immediately completed the installation of the driver. 

0 Likes
mm1115

vz access manager for my brand new window 7 computer would always check for previous version and get hung up in the process. thank you so much for the excellent to check the processes and delete. vz couldn't help me. they told me to call my it department. it dpeartment told me to call vz. vz told me to call microsoft. microsoft couldn't help. i could have saved 10 hour of time

0 Likes