Verizon Access Manager 7.0.8 and 10.6.3 results in fatal error -43
northnet04

I am trying to get a Verizon modem (UW190) working with my Macbook Pro and 10.6.3. Using 7.0.8 (build 2418b) of VZAccess Manager. The modem is detected properly but when you try to activate vzaccess will immediately return a fatal error -43.

If you try to connect to the network, the modem will connect, establish a ppp session but then fail (timeout) when trying to pass configuration options.

Sometimes the VZA Manager will simply crash upon launch.

I confirmed the problem on two different MacBook's both running 10.6.3.

I installed the SAME software onto an iMac with 10.6 and with the same modem it worked fine. When that iMac was subsequently upgraded to 10.6.3, the same fatal error -43 occurred and you could no longer connect with the modem. Same issue on three 10.6.3 machines.

Verizon is NOW passing this information to their tech department. I have an open case # but wanted to post the issue here for others.

No resolution for now.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Access Manager 7.0.8 and 10.6.3 results in fatal error -43
FL32082

I'm having the exact same problem.

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

I don't have any thing to add to this other then I have seen this also :smileysad:

And I noticed this statement at the bottom of their page:

"The new Mac OS update 10.6.3 may cause the UMW190 to NOT be detected on some machines. The previous Mac OS version was 10.6.2 and works with the released VZAM 7.0.8. Users using the UM190 should revert back to an older version of the MAC in case the UM190 is not detected after the update is performed."

0 Likes
northnet04

I read that as well. However in this case the modem is properly detected and it actually makes a ppp connection, it's after that point when it fails to negotiate the network options and times out. It seems more like there's an issue with the script at that point, but I don't see anything in the logs to pinpoint the problem.

Also, if I just select options/activate I'll immediately get the fatal error -43 which is locally generated, not a problem with the network at all.

Having people revert to a less secure posture on thier OS in order to support the modem is ludicrous.

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

northnet04 wrote:

Having people revert to a less secure posture on thier OS in order to support the modem is ludicrous.

YES. This makes me lose a little faith in Verizon. They don't update operating systems for the fun of it, it is usually because of security flaws!

0 Likes
guss_14
I experienced the same issue on a user's brand new MacBook Pro. For a work around, I activated the card on a laptop running xp and then reconnected the device to the mac and it is working now....obviously not a permanent solution, but at least it gets the user up and running for now.
0 Likes
northnet04

Well you'd think if that was a 'fix', then it would have worked after I activated the modem with the 10.6 iMac.

I just tried the modem again after a fresh install of the VZAManager (still 7.0.8) and it worked! No explanations and no indication as to why.

I wish I had more to add to this. Perhaps it was the 'ACTIVATION' that failed and subsequently caused any attempt to connect to fail also.

To reiterate, the last course of action I had taken was to install on a 10.6.0 iMac, which worked fine. Then upgrade the same iMac to 10.6.3 which resulted in the device no longer being able to connect. Now, a week later I installed the VZAmanager again on my 10.6.3 MacBook and restarted. I then simply inserted the modem and after giving it my phone number as prompted, I was able to connect.

I am posting this via the UW190, so it's obviously working. ????

0 Likes
northnet04

I should add to my above post, I hit CANCEL when initially prompted to update my modem via the network.

0 Likes
Gurm42

This is of course still a problem. I have never been unable to use my device, but heaven forbid I ever got one that wasn't already activated. I can't update the roaming/coverage profile though, so that's a little worrisome. Apparently I can boot into Windows to do this, so I might let my Bootcamp partition get some exercise, but that's no good answer.

0 Likes
carldd

I have all of the problems mentioned above.  Fatal Error -43, VZAccess Crashing, etc.

I have MacBook Pro (non-unibody), OS 10.6.3, UW190 Broadband Card.

My old card worked great, but I lost it.

UW190 was a replacement.

Spent 2 hours with Verizon Tech Support and continued to get Fatal Error 43.

We then tried to get the card going on my Windows Starter PC, no problem there.

When I plugged the card into the Mac, it worked fine.

But that only lasted a day, the next day I was prompted for my wireless card's phone number,

then problems, program crashed and would not relaunch despite trashing preffs, re-install, etc.

Just sharing what we all know.  It's an issue with the software and 10.6.3 and Verizon Tech support seemed to be totally unaware of it as of 6/24/10.

0 Likes