Verizon G1100 Gateway Router on FIOS reporting "Eth1: Carrier Lost"
wepeccant

Recently I swapped out our ActionTec router for a new G1100 Gateway Router to get a strong wireless signal in the house.  I should mention here that I've worked in IT for over 30 years initially as a programmer and then later as a system integrator.

Since I switched routers, we've been having problems related to losing our FIOS WAN connection roughly every two to four days.  On the front of the router, there are two lights and the top one turns red which indicates a lost WAN connection.  When I log into the router, up in the top left corner, the WAN status shows Disconnected.

Networking inside the house appears to be normal.  We have network file shares between computers in the house the work fine and I can log into different computers using Remote Desktop.

Naturally, the first suspect is inside wiring.  Our house is wired with CAT5.  Even though these connections have been working fine with FIOS for over ten years, Verizon Support asked that we disconnect all of the hardwired connections.  We did that and ran with only wireless network connections, but the WAN disconnect continued to occur.

Support asked me to do a hard reset on the router.  Did that and the problem continued to occur.

Support has shipped us two new routers.  No change.

I am tempted to put back the old ActionTec router and see if the problem reoccurs, but I have not done that yet.

It is hard for me to believe that we've received several bad, new Gateway Routers.  I don't think that the router is the problem.

All of the router logs look normal except for one, repeated entry in the WAN DHCP log.  It reports "Eth1: carrier lost."  Sometimes this entry appears when we lose connectivity and sometimes is doesn't.  New neighbors moved in next door around the same time that I switched routers and they changed the service to the house from Comcast to FIOS.

I only have one question that I hope someone in the community can comment on.

Is finding the entry "Eth1: carrier lost" in the WAN DHCP log something that might happen two or three times a day under normal conditions or is this an unusual condition?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon G1100 Gateway Router on FIOS reporting "Eth1: Carrier Lost"
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

FIOS is a Verizon landline service and not in anyway related to the business called Verizon Wireless. You should ask your question in the Verizon Residential forums. Home - Verizon Forums

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
wepeccant

Thank you, Ann!  I must say, finding the right Verizon forum was very difficult.  Referencing the Verizon sites and Google search offered no clues.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Interesting. I just searched "Verizon forum" and the first results was the residential forum. The second was this site. I don't even have access to Verizon landline services in my area.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.