Verizon Jetpack not appearing as a metered connection on my devices
MaxYak
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have noticed that, when my computer is connected to my new Verizon Jetpack, it doesn't think it's on a metered connection.  Therefore, very large downloads happen without asking first.

By comparison, when the same computer is connected via cellphone's tethering capability, such downloads do not automatically occur - I am always asked some variant on the question "You are on a metered connection - are you sure you want to proceed with this big download?".

How can I make the Jetpack appear to be a metered connection?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Jetpack not appearing as a metered connection on my devices
Weth
Legend

Are you using Windows or Mac? If Windows, which version of Windows are you on? 7, 8, 8.1, or 10?

Here is the Microsoft FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Re: Verizon Jetpack not appearing as a metered connection on my devices
MaxYak
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ah, I didn't realize this was settable in the OS on the connecting machine.  One of my machines is Windows 8.1, the other Windows 10.  While I'm glad I can override the setting to get this right, I still find it surprising and disturbing that Windows is somehow able to detect that it's connecting to a tethered cell phone, but not to a Jetpack.

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of complaints about unasked-for large downloads when the Jetpack is left on overnight are due to this one issue.  If Verizon changed the Jetpack to somehow identify itself to the OS *by default* as a metered connection, Verizon would probably have fewer unhappy customers.

In any case, I thank you for pointing me at the work-around.

0 Likes