Verizon Wireless UM175 USB Modem - Error 638
Bcecam

On windows 7 ultimate getting the error 638  (Error message link) while trying to get connected online using Verizon Wireless UM175 USB Modem via VZAccess Manager.

Please advise.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Wireless UM175 USB Modem - Error 638
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

If the solution that was recommended by our Verizon Support team member did not resolve the issue, we recommend that you contact our technical support team for additional assistance. 

Our Customer Service Department is open from 6:00 A.M Until 11:00 P.M., daily. If you wish to speak to a representative, please call *611 from your wireless handset or 800-922-0204 from a landline phone."

Thank You 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sonoranowl

I get this message almost every day.  It happens when you lose your EDVO broadband signal and you go on the 1X network, which apparently is nothing more than the cellphone system.  The 1X network will then go dormant on you system.  You will need to close VZAccess Manager, wait 5 minutes, and then try to reconnect.  The reconnect usually takes about 2-3 minutes, then you connect back up to the 1X network, and if you're lucky, you may get the EDVO.  The 1X is worse than being on dialup.  Here's Verizon's performance today on my system.  I've had a broadband signal about 10% of the day, the rest of the time has been the 1X network.

I have had a broadband signal for about 10% of the time for two days in a row. I downloaded a 16.6mb file this morning, TOOK 25 MINUTES.  I downloaded a 32mb file this morning, TOOK 57 MINUTES.  AVERAGED ABOUT 10kbs. Webpages are taking from 2-5 minutes to fully open, some longer.  Our cellphones still run the gamut of signal strength, FROM 1 BAR TO 5 BARS, CHANGING EVERY COUPLE OF MINUTES.  I initiated a trouble ticket on Wednesday, Feb. 23rd, #4168339, AND HAVE NOT SEEN ANY IMPROVEMENT IN MY SERVICE.

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

I recommend updating your network connection to your Usb modem. Listed below are directions to update the PRL for your Windows base computer, along with other systems. 

1. Ensure the device is inserted / connected to the computer.
    Note If using a notebook with an embedded module ensure the wireless radio is powered on.
  2. Launch VZAccess Manager.
    Note From the Windows desktop navigate: Start > Programs (All Programs)  > VZAccess Manager
    Note From the Macintosh desktop navigate: Finder > Applications > VZAccess Manager
    Note From the Linux desktop navigate: Applications > Internet > VZAccess Manager
  3. From the VZAccess Manager top menu, navigate Options > Activation.
    Note For Macintosh: from the Menu Bar, navigate Options > Activation.
    4. Select OK.
KinquanaH_VZw

0 Likes
Bcecam

I followed up all the provided steps and got the same error 638 after few minutes of Connecting.... status.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

If the solution that was recommended by our Verizon Support team member did not resolve the issue, we recommend that you contact our technical support team for additional assistance. 

Our Customer Service Department is open from 6:00 A.M Until 11:00 P.M., daily. If you wish to speak to a representative, please call *611 from your wireless handset or 800-922-0204 from a landline phone."

Thank You 

0 Likes