Verizon is Capping Internet Speed/Service for "Unlimited" Customers
NoMoreMiFi

Some recent news has been brought to my attention by Verizon Wireless' customer service department, and I think that given the severity of Verizon Wireless’ continued breach of contract to Internet customers, this matter should be brought to everyone else's attention as well.

I originally purchased a Verizon Wireless USB Internet Card in 2007. I was offered a plan that entitled me to an “Unlimited Internet Usage Allowance”. I kept the same wireless Internet device for two years and never acquired any issues or concerns. On January 20th, 2010, I went into a Verizon store and was offered a free upgrade to the new MiFi Mobile HotSpot. I was told that I could test the product for 30 days to make sure that it worked to my standards and my Internet needs. It worked perfectly. I used it for multiple computers in my home, as well as work and travel. 

My problem with the Verizon MiFi began on October 21st, 2010 when my Internet suddenly became extremely slow and unable to access any web pages without minutes of waiting. I continued to call customer service and go into the Verizon stores throughout the month in hopes that someone could find a ‘glitch’ and solve my issue of what soon became No Internet access. I did all this with patience and good faith, as I have continued to pay $60 a month for “High speed 3G” service. Two weeks ago, I took the MiFi device into the store and requested a new device since it became entirely defective. My new device arrived in the mail and I have still spent the last week going through the ring-around circus of Tech support and the only logic they can come up with is, "Either the device is defective or my computer is too old."  This is not the case, as I recently purchased a new laptop.

What I discovered was that Verizon neglected to inform me for the past two months that I had gone over my "undisclosed usage threshold" (Even though I pay for Unlimited Allowance) and now my internet speed has been capped and I am unable to access the Internet. I spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday and weaved my way into a small department called "AIT" which is supposedly a new sub-contracted company that is suppose to help negotiate my "situation". They of course are closed, and my numerous voice mails will most likely never be returned.

At this point, I am still paying for something that does not work, and Verizon has taken it upon themselves to decide "how often" I can use the internet. This was not disclosed to me in my contract that I signed in Jan 2010, when I continued my Wireless plan for "unlimited usage allowance."

I want everyone to be aware of this, before they head out this holiday season and spend hundreds of dollars on a Verizon Wireless Internet Device, and eventually will have to deal with the same nonsense I'm currently going through right now!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is Capping Internet Speed/Service for "Unlimited" Customers
kneekahliss
Contributor - Level 1

This is true for Unlimited customers. use more than 5GB a month consecutively for 2 months and you will get capped.

Remember you are on a cell tower. Customers love to torrent and stream. The network could not handle it at the time.

There are always a few bad apples than ABUSE the unlimited and use it like a home connection using 20GB/mo

This is why this came about.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I don't think the MIFI ever had an unlimited plan. You probably got switched to the 5GB plan with you upgraded. I'm surprised they aren't billing you for usage over 5GB.
0 Likes
NoMoreMiFi

I started with one of the few unlimited plans back in 2008- They kept telling me to "hang on to it- cause it won't be around for long!" So I did and when I upgraded my device- everything worked great for 7 months. I started using it more frequently as a hot spot for more than one computer, we're talking email, web browsing and paying bills- Not Xbox360 for 24 hours a day or fownloading 10 videos a day!? I don't even know how to do that!?!

And the first month we went over- we got capped! Now it runs at about a quarter of the speed. Which was never disclosed to me. And to think- they market this MiFi 2200 as a hotspot for up to 5 computers??? I can only imagine how quickly people are being capped.

0 Likes
Not applicable
They sell a 5gb and a 10GB plan.
0 Likes
thepres69
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the same treatment. I am now here to tell you that Unlimited is Unlimited... and that Verizon does not want us Unlimited customers any more. They want us to go away and come back later on one of the other plans 5Gig or 10 Gig... I am confused when some say that it is OK for Verizon to Limit Unlimited users by reducing their Speed to 200K for 28 days when they exceed 5Gig. How can this be, in your minds, fair since 10 Gig customers are not limited or Capped?

I know there are other options and I am exploring them now... Plus I am sure that my 8Gig in one month did not impact their precious network since I am in a very Rural area.

0 Likes
thepres69
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why would anyone on an unlimited plan switch to a 5Gig or 10Gig plan... Oh wait because Verizon limits your speed to 200K for 28 days if you go over 5Gigs... Nice marketing... kinda like the Mafia???? 

0 Likes
Not applicable
Seems to me that once your two year contract is up and you are paying month to month, they are no longer contractually obligated to provide unlimited service.
0 Likes
thepres69
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may be right... Guess I ought to just upgrade and increase my cost to 80 bucks a month.... for this 1.3 meg max data service.... nice try... looking for other options... telling everyone what a Jack Leg Company Verizon is....

0 Likes
lkentn

I know the feeling and I feel your pain. I had exactly the same thing happen to me except I didn't try to return my device. When calling both Technical Services department and Customer Services, I was referred to the Verizon Fraud Department like maybe I had perpetrated a fraud on Verizon by going over their 5 Gig unwritten maybe fine print limitation on my unlimited account. I am mad at what I thought was an excellent company to do business with. I even posted my whole story to Facebook for everyone to view. The internet gives the individual customer more power than Verizon must understand.

0 Likes