Re: Verizon is Capping Internet Speed/Service for "Unlimited" Customers
thepres69
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good Job Ike!!!! Are you getting private messages from Oshea?

0 Likes
ibanez737
Contributor - Level 1

We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

If you activated before 11/07, you were notified in a letter that the ToS were changing and you could change your plan to a capped plan, keep your current one and get throttled, or cancel with no ETF.  If you activated after, it was in your original ToS that you signed when you setup your service.

People use the internet much differently now than they did in 2007.  I bet it would be rare to have someone come close to 5GB then where as now, I would say a good smartphone population is easily hitting 5GB.  In the end, it's their services and they can do what they want.  It sounds like you never had a problem until you got the MiFi, which was way after 2007.  You want more than 5 gigs of data, then this is what happens.  I really don't know why it's degrading the service to that extent since it only limits you to 200kbps, but again, there are people who abuse the system trying to have 5 devices streaming media/gaming/etc all the time and why have other customers suffer because of it?

0 Likes
lkentn

lkentn wrote:

I know the feeling and I feel your pain. I had exactly the same thing happen to me except I didn't try to return my device. When calling both Technical Services department and Customer Services, I was referred to the Verizon Fraud Department like maybe I had perpetrated a fraud on Verizon by going over their 5 Gig unwritten maybe fine print limitation on my unlimited account. I am mad at what I thought was an excellent company to do business with. I even posted my whole story to Facebook for everyone to view. The internet gives the individual customer more power than Verizon must understand.

I am getting responses to the post of my MiFi woes on my wife's Facebook page since I personally am not on Facebook, here is what respondent said: "We've been told that we have unlimited with our "mifi" but I'll be giving them a call to make sure". Imagine what this person will think when they find that unlimited really means capped at 5 Gigs! 

0 Likes
Sotier

The situation described here is exactly the same experience I've had. I have an unlimited plan through my employer - The bill each month says, "Unlimited." The service up until the holidays has been great, except that now my account exceeded some invisible threshold. I went through the same gyrations with customer support. They even sent out a new unit, in an attempt to correct the slow speed I've been experiencing. Until I found this forum, I felt it had more to do with my rural location, not the service provider. Anyway, on a recent call I took advantage of the knowledge gained from the posters here. Verizon provided me an 888 number to contact, who confirmed the restriction in service. When I inquired about the unlimited service notation on my bill, they said, "Well, you still have service." Talk about word games and deceptive practices!

What I did do is contact my state's attorney general's office, and filed a complaint with same. As others have expressed, unlimited should be unlimited. No where did Verizon share in advance, or attempt to warn me, of the pending restriction of service.

I am just one customer - I do have three services from Verizon, home phone, blackberry and mifi. If they can't honor their advertised plan, all I can do is take my business elsewhere. 

0 Likes
thepres69
Enthusiast - Level 2

As a followup

Yes I finally recieved a copy of that supposed speed limit letter. It was a copy of a form letter (no personal information entered, like acct # name etc) that I have never rec'd. They say I never exceeded 5 Gig back previous to the limit so I wouldn't have rec'd this notification.

So here we are.... being speed capped when exceeding 5 Gig.... on an unlimited plan.

Yes, I am still looking forward to a better plan and coverage... Century Link is coming to my area. Sprint is on its way... I have diswaded over 30 individuals from switching or signing up with Verizon. To date I figure I have cost them $1500 per month for the next two years and made ATT and Sprint very happy.

I will continue my fight to get unlimited granfathered plans to be at least as good as the Verizon 10 Gig Plans and am still working with attorneys for a class action lawsuit.

Just as an update.... they did offer me an upgrade to 10 Gig plan and new equipment for no additional cost but my monthly bill would be $30 more per month....

Netflix has just produced some interesting figures on cost per meg and listed best internet service providers.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I remember when gasoline was $0.30 per gallon. Things change. Unlimited data plans are a thing of the past. Get over it.
0 Likes
T-bolt_Camb
ditto with Fitz .. How many terabytes do you want for ten bucks .. You could hang out at S' buck and see what a cup will get you. :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

T-bolt_Camb wrote:
ditto with Fitz .. How many terabytes do you want for ten bucks .. You could hang out at S' buck and see what a cup will get you. :smileyhappy:

I finally got the MiFi because Starbucks is no longer useful for me.

Before it was free, it was good.

Now there are 10 people with laptops camped out, maybe no internet at home, and the WAP disappears occasionally.

I've had this happen at more than one Starbucks, more than one area.

Now, I actually sit at Starbucks on my MiFi.

I saw a guy doing that a while ago, on a Sprint gadget of some sort, and couldn't figure out why.

--

Clarence

0 Likes
barnseller

Contacting the Attorney General is an excellent idea!!! Verizon has over charged me for 5 months and only wants to give me half the credit I deserve when I have repeatedly called to get this resolved. And my "5 spot" does not work properly and they don't care. Thanks for the the tip!

0 Likes
lkentn

I have been throttled down again for going over the unpublished 5GB usage threshold on my grandfathered unlimited data account. I have been throttled down to 0.14 MBPS for the whole next billing period; I barely have enough bandwidth to post this message. If Verizon must throttle me down, why don't they do it during the current billing period once I hit 5GB limit instead of for the entire next billing period? If my unlimited data plan is capped at 5GB during a billing period, why doesn't Verizon Wireless do as T-Mobile does and throttle me down after I reach 5GB for the balance of the current billing period.

So, now I am being charged for high speed broadband internet at 0.14 MBPS speeds. Verizon Customer Service representatives are amazed that their company does such things to long time very loyal customers.

As Sprint would say, "unlimited doesn't mean unlimited" with some of their competitors like Verizon. I stick with Verizon because their coverage area is the very best in the US and since we are full-time motorhomers, that is very important to us. AT&T covers 95% of Americans; Verizon covers 99% of America!! Verizon is probably a real good company albeit with terrible customer service. Verizon customer service representatives are all great people but they have no power to act even when they know the customer is being mistreated. Happy Independence Day!!

0 Likes