Verizon's "Network Optimization" on 3G Unlimited Plans
Twohothardware
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sure that this has probably been discussed here before, maybe numerous times since I don't frequent these boards, but since it is something that is now impacting me and since I've noticed others posting threads here and other forums about sporadically slow speeds with Verizon 3G during certain times of the day without any mention of this being the cause I thought I would share my experience with it first hand.

I just found out about it yesterday when I called Verizon to complain about the performance I've been having off and on the last few weeks during peak times of the day (Download speeds in the 100-200Kbps range) for my 3G service and what I soon found out from the rep was that in December there was a "feature" added to my account called Network Optimization which basically is a means to throttle users who have 3G Unlimited plans and use the internet in areas which they deem as being congested. Any time you go over 2GB in a past billing cycle even though your on an Unlimited plan your up for it to be added to your account.

And in a way I could understand them needing to crack down on really high users which I myself no doubt fall into on certain months since I have a Business Unlimited plan and I'm on the computer for hours every day using it with constantly refreshing websites, checking e-mails, and then downloading Windows and Mac updates and at times large files that I need. So it's nothing for me to hit 10-20GB in a month's time, especially around the holidays.

But the biggest problem that I have with it is the fact they're free to add it to your account every time you go over 2GB in a month and reside in what they consider a congested area. Because someone that is on an Unlimited plan, and especially a Business Unlimited plan, should at least be given a cap of 10-12GB before they add on this "Network Optimization" feature to throttle your speeds because they are offering 10-12GB packages to Smartphone users without adding any Network Optimization to their accounts if they reside in a congested area and those types of users are in far greater number than those of us using laptop connect plans.

But it all boils down to Verizon wanting to force the grandfathered Unlimited users into giving up their plans and signing new 2 year agreements on a more expensive tiered plan than it has anything to do with improving the network in congested areas. If they wanted to improve the network in congested areas they would be cracking down on the Smartphone users who are using mega amounts of data to constantly stream Youtube and Netflix all day but they don't. Or better yet how about spending money to upgrade the 3G towers that are congested instead of throttling your users and continually taking on more new users? Yeah like Verizon is actually going to do something like that right.

Anyways I'm a little pissed off at Verizon at the moment since this is the only internet option I have available to me out here in my rural area and I have to have it for my home business so I can't just drop them yet as much as I would like to until they absolutely force me to.

Is anyone else here facing these same troubles at the moment with your supposedly Unlimited plans and care to share your experience so far?

If you want to read more about Verizon's Network Optimization feature and who they're targeting you can do so here:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

Re: Verizon's "Network Optimization" on 3G Unlimited Plans
Tidbits
Legend

Fair use clause which they started to enforce recently.

0 Likes
Twohothardware
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

Fair use clause which they started to enforce recently.

Yeah but there's nothing fair use about throttling 3G Business Unlimited users past 2GB but offering 10-12GB packages to Smartphone users with no throttling when they account for the largest percentage by far of your customers. It's all about them wanting you to pay more and getting rid of the $59.99 Unlimited plans.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes there is... It's been in there almost forever. Everyone including business customers agree to the same terms. Carriers(all of them) are starting to enforce them. Even Sprint with their "truly" unlimited plan has that fair use clause and went on record they will eventually enforce it and also will no longer offer unlimited.

0 Likes
Twohothardware
Enthusiast - Level 2

You missed the point of what I just said. I didn't imply that there isn't a clause there for them to be able to legally enforce bandwidth caps on the unlimited plans if they wanted to, what I said is that there is nothing fair about having a "Network Optimization" throttle added to your account each month you go past 2GB when there is no Network throttling being done to the largest percentage of users who are on tiered plans with Smartphones.

If Verizon is capable of offering 10-12GB packages to Smartphone users with NO throttling then why are 3G Unlimited laptop connect users including those with Business accounts that require the most bandwidth being hit at only 2GB? Why isn't the excessive usage cap at something more "fair" like 10-12GB? And why are you even needing to throttle the laptop connect users who only make up a small percentage of your customer base in terms of bandwidth used compared to the iPhone and Nexus users?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Twohothardware wrote:

You missed the point of what I just said. I didn't imply that there isn't a clause there for them to be able to legally enforce bandwidth caps on the unlimited plans if they wanted to, what I said is that there is nothing fair about having a "Network Optimization" throttle added to your account each month you go past 2GB when there is no Network throttling being done to the largest percentage of users who are on Smartphones.

If Verizon is capable of offering 10-12GB packages to Smartphone users with NO throttling then why are 3G Unlimited laptop connect users including those with Business accounts that require the most bandwidth being hit at only 2GB? Why isn't the excessive usage cap at something more "fair" like 10-12GB? And why are you even needing to throttle the laptop connect users who only make up a small percentage of your customer base in terms of bandwidth used compared to the iPhone and Nexus users?

Huge difference in price paid.  Simply put the people who are paying more money are paying for their bandwidth.  Bandwidth isn't free for Verizon.  All carriers when they offered their unlimited plans they were overselling their network then realized they can't handle the capacity when devices started to get more sophisticated too quickly.

For the people that come on here and say there is no difference in computer data and phone data...  YES there is a difference.  I have personally tested it out multiple times and on a laptop I can use 5times the amount of data in the same 1 hour period than I do on my cell phone going to the same sites.  The difference is background data, and the speed(jumping between sites, tabs, and bookmarks) you can surf the web is different between the two which people ALWAYS overlook.

0 Likes
Twohothardware
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

Twohothardware wrote:

You missed the point of what I just said. I didn't imply that there isn't a clause there for them to be able to legally enforce bandwidth caps on the unlimited plans if they wanted to, what I said is that there is nothing fair about having a "Network Optimization" throttle added to your account each month you go past 2GB when there is no Network throttling being done to the largest percentage of users who are on Smartphones.

Huge difference in price paid.  Simply put the people who are paying more money are paying for their bandwidth.  Bandwidth isn't free for Verizon.  All carriers when they offered their unlimited plans they were overselling their network then realized they can't handle the capacity when devices started to get more sophisticated too quickly.

For the people that come on here and say there is no difference in computer data and phone data...  YES there is a difference.  I have personally tested it out multiple times and on a laptop I can use 5times the amount of data in the same 1 hour period than I do on my cell phone going to the same sites.  The difference is background data, and the speed(jumping between sites, tabs, and bookmarks) you can surf the web is different between the two which people ALWAYS overlook.

$60 vs $80 is not that huge of difference in price paid, what is a huge difference is 2GB and 10GB. And yes you can use far more data on a computer or laptop than a smartphone, even though laptop connect users only make up a fraction of Verizon's customer base compared to Smartphone users, but that is exactly why it is ridiculous that you try and cap Unlimited 3G desktop/laptop users at 2GB but then offer 10-12GB tiered plans to Smartphone users who aren't the ones that need it. And that is something that obviously you and Verizon are both overlooking.

Let me ask you this, do you personally have a DSL or Cable connection at home outside of your Verizon 3G/4G service? What about at work?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There are other factors that play a role in your speeds.  Go through it again  it affects BOTH laptops and phones.  A lot of users are on when you are on connected to the same tower, but you are using way more bandwidth than they are.  They do not discriminate between the two.

If you PAID attention...  That tiered plan was offered months ago...  They even have a tiered plan for laptop sticks(4G), and the 3G laptops and sticks are being phased out. So you can get those same tiered plans. They didn't overlook a thing.  I believe they even have plans for the laptop sticks that are higher than for smart phones.  Verizon wants everyone to move over to the 4G network so they can work out the authentication bug(by removing the old 3G authentication system), and to alleviate a lot of congestion which is native to 3G(slower speeds = ports staying open longer).

I will never be throttled where I am at.  There's not enough people to get enough connections to a specific tower for me to get throttled(At least not yet).

0 Likes
lost89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually it isn't fair. For you are paying for what you thought would be a Unlimited Plan but ends up being more nick-nacks added to it than you thought. For being Slowed Down for only 2GB is ridiculous. You might as well go with a 10GB Plan if you don't want to be slowed down. In other words, Verizon backs you into a corner. Either live with the slowed down internet or go for a 5 or 10GB Plan.

Also if you are using it in a business manor such as, out in the field and you need to connect to whatever your working on via Wireless Internet, you need the speed. And obviously your going to be going over 2GB. So then your adding onto the time it takes to do the job. Which in turn, makes the company earn less money plus that employee. It can be the difference between feeding a family for a night or not.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Over use of generalizing the word unlimited. 1998 the courts ruled as long as you are not stopped from using data and you are not charged extra for use of that data it is UNLIMITED.

Regardless how you see it that's what is in law. A English professor or scholar would agree with what is in law. The word does not have to fit all definitions of the word. Blue for example... If the color blue be blue if it could never feel blue?

We can argue semantics all day... What was written in law and in our own English language is black and white.

0 Likes