Very Slow Broadband Speed
cmalk98

I currently have Verizon's broadband access for $59.99 per month. (Novatel V740) I have had the service for approx 1 1/2 years.  Overall I have been pleased with their service until recently.  Lately my broadband speed is extremely slow.  It is painful to even web browse or read emails.  I Live in an are that has REV A. Service that is supposed to be 600 to Kbps download speeds.  Recently in the past two months my speeds are extremely slow... approk 100kbps download.  I know this because I have performed multiple speed tests to different servers on speedtest. net  This is only twice as fast as dial up internet.  My speeds used to be way faster than this.  It is very frustrating to be paying $60 per month for internet that is almost unusable.  Is anyone else experiencing extremely slow broadband speeds like this?  I have heard of verizon throttling speeds after you exceed your download limit of 5gb/month but I have never went over the limit?  If this continues I WILL NOT renew my contract with verizon.  Does verizon throttle your speed before you even exceed the threshold?  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Very Slow Broadband Speed
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

As you will see if you read some nearby threads, if you have an unlimited data plan and exceed 5 GB in a monthly billing cycle you will be rate limited for the next 30 days.  If you already have a 5 GB cap you will not be rate limited, but you will be charged for the overage. You might want to join the other thread.

0 Likes
jupiter837
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have you tired reactivating your modem? I e-mailed Verizon once when my speed was very slow and they sent me a list of things to try.  One thing I remember is they suggested re-activating my modem cause when I did it seemed to help. I do it every so often now and not had any real bad speed problems for awhile.  I mean there will always be ups and downs, but nothing continuous. 

If that don't work e-mail them and ask if they are doing any kind of work to the towers in your area, and explain the problem your having.  It could be congestion related, that would be harder to fix. And it might be a problem with the tower too. Either way let them know.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I'm paranoid.  I think Verizon wants you to upgrade.

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

Ensure that there are no applications running in the background that may be utilizing the connection. Some applications (e.g. Windows Updates, Antivirus Updates, File Sharing applications, etc.) can consume a significant amount of bandwidth and decrease the connection throughput.

Utilize the following speed test sites to determine the current speed of the connection:

0 Likes
PAllenT
Thanks for the speed test links!
0 Likes
zenman

"Server not found"  Surprise, surprise, surprise....

0 Likes
doesvzcare
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with the paranoid person. 

0 Likes
rcurl

The links above are corrupt.  Try these:

http://infospeed.verizon.net/

http://performance.toast.net/

And here's another good one....