What is the Tx Power for the Short Range and Long Range modes of the Jetpack MiFi5510L?
kl671

I am connecting my Jetpack to a wireless capable device for evaluation purposes and am measuring achievable ranges / signal senstivity / data rates at the receiving end. It would be good to know the output power capabilities (in dBm) of this device for documentation purposes.

0 Likes
Re: What is the Tx Power for the Short Range and Long Range modes of the Jetpack MiFi5510L?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Are you referring to the connection to the VZW towers or the local WiFi broadcast that originates from the Jetpack itself? 

The same performance measurements in dBm apply to Jetpacks as other VZW devices.  For more info on what are considered to be good benchmarks see this guide from 3gstore: http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

If you are concerned about the WiFi antenna Tx power then I don't believe I have ever found a hard number before.  Jetpacks are personal mobile hotspots.  They are not designed to replace a normal home router.  While  you may be able to detect the WiFi signal from 100 ft away the performance is going to be flakey.  Its best if you sit in the same room or preferably directly next to the Jetpack while it is in use.

To get a reading you might have to generate your own data using WiFi sniffing software such as WiFi Analyzer for Android.  Setup the analyzer and then walk further and further away from the Jetpack while it broadcasts.  Check in with the Analyzer to see how the performance diminishes as you add in distance and interference from competing sources in the environment. 

0 Likes
Re: What is the Tx Power for the Short Range and Long Range modes of the Jetpack MiFi5510L?
kl671

I was referring more to the local WiFi broadcast signals that originate from the Jetpack itself.

I know that you can view the signal strength from the Verizon Network, which would be a measure of the quality of the communication link between the Verizon Tower and my Jetpack device.

I am using the Jetpack device as a test hotspot to measure the range capability of a designed in house controller, so I am reading the RSSI of the Jetpack as a source and my module as a receiver.

My module is able of working as a WiFi host access point as well as a WiFi client. In host mode, I am able to configure the output Tx power capabilities to extend range for different applications (up to +20 dBm), and I wanted to know if it is possible to do something similar with the Jetpack (when my module is in client mode so I can extend the range). All I really see is "short range" and "long range" settings, but the TX power would better help make some definitive statements on what type of source signals are required for certain fleet management purposes and to characterize the free space path loss.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> All I really see is "short range" and "long range" settings,

True, under The WiFi settings of the admin page for the 5510L there are options for WiFi Range.  However I don't think you will find VZW posting the specific Tx power settings anywhere if the user guide does not already specify it. 

MiFi 5510L User Guide Page 52 - WiFi Range:

http://www.fgcu.edu/Telecommunications/Folders/MiFi-User-Guide.pdf

> but the TX power would better help make some definitive statements on what type of source signals are required for certain fleet management purposes and to characterize the free space path loss.

You might be able to contact Novatel and ask them to clarify since they manufacture the hardware.  Sometimes they will give you the run around stating that they do not directly support customers and to go through VZW to setup a ticket first.  For a simple question like this where you are not asking them to do anything they might help you out.

0 Likes