What is the best desktop Verizon wireless modem for inside warehouse location?
webcitymedia

We are using a Verizon 4G LTE VL600 modem in a warehouse attached via USB cable to a Win 7 desktop. The service varies 3G to 4G but often losing signal when we need to check mail automatically, unattended. The VL600 was initially chosen as a test of concept for that location and the fact we could use it on a laptop elsewhere. Since we are committed to that location we need to upgrade to a better modem for a continuous connection for checking email every 5 minutes. (low traffic). Any suggestions for a Verizon modem that would be a better fit? 

0 Likes
Re: What is the best desktop Verizon wireless modem for inside warehouse location?
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

I would recommend the following setup

Omni Full Band Outdoor Antenna ----> 4G LTE Direct Connect Amplifier------>Pantech UML290----->CradlePoint 1400---

I took the liberty to create a shopping cart, with the products that would be best cater to your environment especially in a warehouse.  The Omni antenna and direct connect amplifier will amplify and stabilize the signal, the router will broadcast the signal via wifi or ethernet so more than 1 machine can have wireless access.

go to 3gstore.com to get the package above

0 Likes
Re: What is the best desktop Verizon wireless modem for inside warehouse location?
webcitymedia

Thanks for the reply. I failed to mention the customer is unable to drill through any wall and or install any outside antenna in the facility.

0 Likes
fralexandr2

You could go with a less exaggerated setup, but whether it helps or not really depends on what the walls/roof of the warehouse are made of, and if there are other obstructions nearby (big trees, other buildings).

There are a few 8dbi antennas designed for the uml290.

Or you could just go with evdotech's setup but put it in the warehouse instead of outside (and maybe get an indoor directional/omnidirectional antenna instead of the outdoor one) (This is assuming there is enough space in the warehouse, and the employees aren't opposed to being exposed to more radio waves)

Depending on how bad the signal is, either method should work.

evdotech's setup actually reminds me of VZW HomeFusion broadband (limited available markets currently, i don't think they do warehouses either), which is basically an externally mounted 4G antenna wired to a router inside the building.  You get more monthly bandwidth than current plans (unless you're using a grandfathered unlimited plan)

0 Likes
webcitymedia

With all the suggested setups I did a little digging and found a simple solution: Pro Brand 4G LTE antenna. Seems like it maybe still under development. Will be calling them after this three day weekend. Call to Verizon sales people at the local store did not help as the level of knowledge required to answer this situation was not available.

0 Likes