Where can I find information about my 4G JetPack Mobile Hotspot?
mswkwhipge

I have a new Kindle Fire 8.9 tablet which connected easily to my Verizon JetPack Mobile hotspot, and then stopped connecting and saying "Authentication failed".  All of my other units access the internet via the hotspot and my newest 7 inch android tablet also.  Kindle people at Amazon said contact ISP and fnd out type of security for the Hotspot.  Kindle asks WEP?, WPA PSK?, WPA2 PSK?, WPA EAP?, WPA2 EAP?   Which is the type for the Verizon 4G Jet Pack Mobile Hotspot?

"

0 Likes
Re: Where can I find information about my 4G JetPack Mobile Hotspot?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Please confirm which model of Jetpack you have.  Once we know the specific model we can confirm the security mode for you.

Most Jetpack models will default to WPA2 PSK (Pre-Shared Key/Personal Mode).  EAP is an enterprise authentication protocol for 802.1x, normally only businesses need to worry about that one.  The Amazon folks are on the right trail, chances are that you will either need to lower the security on your Jetpack to WPA or you will have to lower the wireless signal from BGN down to BG.  It all depends on what signals the Kindle is compatible with. 

More info on Wireless Security Modes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

0 Likes
mswkwhipge

John - You might be able to guide me out of this wasteland I've been for about 4 days.  My Jet Pack is 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L.  Kindle folks have asked me to provide SSID, which I can, make, model & firmware version, security encryption, character length of key, which I can do, Mac Filtering enabled?, speed of wireless connection, 3G?, Access point channel, 11? wireless mode ( B/G/N or N in B/G compatible mode, Broadcast signal ( my Kindle supports 2.4 Ghz - 5 Ghz.

By the way, my wife and I live in our travel trailer and are in s/w Texas at a developing oilfield site, (gate guarding) in the "middle of nowhere".  80 miles south of San Antonio, 60 miles north of Larado, TX.  Our Kindle worked fine after I set it up with the Jet Pack hotspot and only stopped working after my wife lost signal on evening and punched the Jet Pack buttons to try and retrieve the signal.  I've tried several adjustments to get back to where we were but now we have normal reception for wi-fi for my old ACER laptop, my new 7 in. Android tablet and my wife's HP laptop, but not the Kindle.

I'm so grateful for your reply!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Ah so you have a 890L eh?

It looks like the default security mode on the 890L is WPA2-PSK.  That is the choice you want to use if your Kindle can support it.  Before we assume too much lets start with the basics and work our way up.  First step when you have a random problem is to reset the defaults on a Jetpack.  Each Jetpack is a little different but the steps are generally the same.

Reset the defaults:

1. Power up the Jetpack

2. Remove the back cover

3. Insert a paperclip into the small reset button

4. Press and hold down the reset button for 10-15 seconds

5. Allow the jetpack to reset and reboot itself

6. Try connecting to the Jetpack with the default wireless password (should be attached on a sticker)

If we can get a basic connection to work then we can work on customizing the jetpack to your enviornment.  Try the steps and let us know how it goes.

0 Likes
mswkwhipge

John - Thank you for your help!  My wife and I were on the phone and internet with Verizon tech and we wind up with her smart phone replaced because it could not be "fixed" via electronic fixes from Verizon.  The Verizon tech and I tried many different "work a rounds" to get the Kindle to authenticate with the Jet Pack.  Final determination was problem internally with the Kindle.  Result?  Amazon is sending a replacement Kindle by Wed. this week.  Maybe, just maybe I could have "juggled around" with the Kindle and the Jet Pack to finally get the Kindle to "like" the Jet Pack" but we were using the Kindle with the Jet Pack, no problems UNTIL the Kindle would not "authenticate" with the jet Pack.  My laptop, my wife's laptop, my tablet have no problems with Jet Pack.  I'm really not convinced that there is any other solution for our situation other than what has been agreed upon between us and Verizon and Amazon.  Thanks again for your generous

help!

I really mean that! 

0 Likes