Where to locate network key on hot spot to add device?
silveredd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have a old hp desktop and adding wireless adapter but do not know where to find my network key to enter. Have a Verizon MIFI14510L AD40  hotspot with a netgear 3100 wireless adapter. Can anyone help?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Where to locate network key on hot spot to add device?
Not applicable

after you set up the usb network adaptor you then look for your mifi network name click on it and put the wep/wpa key in the box that appears. The key is usually on the device itself. If verizon has not changed the way they place it. If not there check the documentation that came with the device. it may be on the instruction sheet or a sticker with the instructions.

Good Luck

silveredd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Elector, not finding it in those locations. Looked it up on my Dell which is using the same type of adapter. Of course found out where key is located, but encrypted? Shows to be only eight spaces and nothing is matching up to that.Is there another name that is referred to as the network key?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Could be called WEP

I know years ago I had both Verizon mifi and DSL and the wep key was on the device.

Sorry you are having that issue.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Your Netgear Adapter supports BG and N wireless modes.  It also fully supports WEP, WPA and WPA2 security modes.  If you can get your adapter to install and view the MiFi's network then you should be able to connect to it without further configuration.

If I read your problem correctly, you need to look up the wireless password on your MiFi.  The 4510L model should have a backup sticker posted underneath the battery.  Pop the top and take a look at what is recorded there.  If no password is posted then you have an older model and you can decypher the IMEI number into the wireless password.

Look up the WiFi password on a 4510L by IMEI number:

1. Remove the back cover and battery

2. Record the IMEI number on a scratch piece of paper

3. Remove the last two characters (ex. "-3)

4. Remove the hyphons

5. Reassmble the MiFi and power on

6. Start a new connection

7. When prompted enter your modified IMEI number as the wireless password

MiFi's come as WPA2 secured by default so WEP should not be a concern unless you configured it to do so in the past.  You are most likely working with a WinXP machine or earlier from your desription.  Wireless passwords are not visible in true text on those Operating Systems, WinXP will always display the password as the same encoded characters.  You should disregard what is posted in the previous password field as it is only good for overwritting with a new password.

0 Likes
silveredd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks John. Adapter must be working because my network is showing up, but

when I try to connect says not connected to provider? Should I get the

service guide for windows XP and find out if it takes a different service

pack to use internet. Network key worked the way you explained it to me.

And I believe all my settings are right. Still when my network adapter

shows up on the screen, it has the red X on it saying that it is fire

walled. However doesn't the adapter have to be working for my computer to

be able to show my network?

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM, John Getzke

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I haven't seen a network adapter display messages like that in XP.  I wonder if you are using some other application to control your connections to the internet.  If so you should disable it and re-enable the default Zero Configuration Wireless Connnection Service.  It might even be some kind of external firewall app that is not allowing your adapter to connect to the internet.

Can you take a screenshot for us so that we can see and confirm where the message is coming from?  If your MiFi works with other computers then there would not be a problem with it connecting to Verizon.  If the MiFi does not connect with other devices then perhaps there is a VZW connection problem and we should perform resets to fix it.