Why are U.S. telecoms so far behind the rest of the world
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found this article surfing this morning at http://stopthecap.com/2009/11/02/hong-kong-broadband-network-cuts-price-in-half-100mbps-service-for-...

100mbps for 13 bucks a month. I didn't see no 5GB per month limit either.

0 Likes
Re: Why are U.S. telecoms so far behind the rest of the world
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

It's not just telecomms, it's all ISPs in general. Blame the Government. FCC regulations for this FTC regulations for that. All the red tape they put up we won't get 100Mbps anything for another 10 years.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Yup, to many government regulations... gotta love uncle sam.
0 Likes
Darnstrat

Please show me the specific FTC and FCC regulations preventing US telecoms from allowing 100 Mb/S speeds over wireless networks.  Op-ed pieces on net neutrality don't count.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Darnstrat wrote:

Please show me the specific FTC and FCC regulations preventing US telecoms from allowing 100 Mb/S speeds over wireless networks.  Op-ed pieces on net neutrality don't count.

Go find these examples yourself. That's why the Internet created Google. And Op-ed pieces on net neutrality WOULD count.

0 Likes
Darnstrat

Actually, I'm quite familiar with the FCC regulations.... hence why I asked the question of those who blame everything on the government and regulations.  Rather than back up their arguments  and claims with facts,  it so much easier to simply say the government is limiting free enterprise.

A little research on the part of the complainers would clearly show the telecoms are (inherently) self-serving corporations who do little in the public interest.   

And Op-Ed pieces don't count because they simply reference rumors, allegations, pending legislation and don't present the entire picture.  Further, by their very nature, they are OPINION, not fact.

0 Likes