Why do my networks disappear after I use the Mifi????
jgfinn2

I have a Mifi 2000; running the most recent version of VZ Access Mgr and firmware. Running WIndows Vista

After I use the Mifi tethered to the laptop my frequently used networks disappear(am referring to the icon on the lower right of the toolbar that shows the wireless networks--home, work, local coffee shop) and I have to run the Windows network troubleshooter to "fix" the problem.  Very annoying.

After I use the Mifi as a wireless access point, (untethered), this happens from time to time.

Anyone else having this problem? 

0 Likes
Re: Why do my networks disappear after I use the Mifi????
AndrewD

Hmm, just an idea - have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling? It may be that the drivers for MiFi conflict with your normal network card drivers.

I don't own a MiFi device, but I've installed some programs on Vista/7 here and there that would sometimes cause similar problems on my PC.

Unless anyone else has other suggestions at the moment - I would suggest you uninstall the VZ Access Mgr / firmware on your system, and then re-install (make sure you right-click and 'Run as Administrator' while installing). Reply back if that helps or doesn't help!

0 Likes
jgfinn2

This is a problem that has not been solved by uninstall - reinstall (having just done it; my orig Mifi was replaced when it would not power down).

I had the same prblem with Mifi #1 so your guess that it is a conflict with my laptop adapter is a good one.  I have an extra external adapter.  Might pay to use that and see if the problem re-occurs.

0 Likes
AndrewD

Gotcha, hmmm . I would agree, then - try out the external adapter. If it works, we know there's a good chance it's your on-board adapter. If it doesn't work, we know it may be something else, so you could try option 2 below:

Option 1, if the external adapter does solve the problem:

If it works, we know it's likely your on-board wireless adapter. So, if you haven't already, let's try installing the drivers for the adapter itself this time (not the ones for MiFi, but for your actual adapter). You can do this via Device Manager.

Option 2, if the external adapter doesn't solve the problem:

Well, maybe a new approach. Are you sure all of the drivers for your wireless adapter, your LAN adapter (unless it's the same) are updated? Matter of fact, if you haven't already, perhaps try running a scan to see if ANY of your drivers are out of date? It's crazy, but sometimes having something as seemingly irrelevant as a sound card or other driver out of date can cause a weird problem somewhere else.

If you arent sure about the drivers on your computer, I would recommend PC Pitstop. They have several computer scans, all free (and malware/spyware/bloatware free). To actually install the drivers you'd need to purchase a license, but for our purposes here that shouldn't be necessary. All we want to do right now is figure out if any of your drivers are out of date.

Edited for clarity, some grammatical errors.

0 Likes